Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently got my hedgie she is 9 weeks old and my dogs are very interested one of my dogs would whine by my door till I let her in and when I do she just sits near the hedgie cage and will growl if I go near it.

What does this mean?

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,253 Posts
This behaviour could be 1 of a few things, you will need to watch your dog carefully to understand which one.

1 if they are on high alert watching the hedgehog and growling, when you go near, they could be possessive in a bad way, making you back off because they see it as "their prey" and they are guarding it until they can get it.
You need to nip this in the bud and get them stop asap teach them its not acceptable to act like this.

2 they could be generally relaxed, not necessarily watching the hedgehog but watching around others this, this tends to be more protective behaviour.
You will probably still want to train them to stop this, even if its just to people they trust.

3 its a new pet, and if its getting more attention or just general attention it could be a jealous reaction - growling at you = the dog gets attention over the hedgehog.

Do not leave your dog alone in that room, even if you think they can't get to the hedgehog, its reallly not worth a risk of injuries.

Best thing for whatever the reason is, to teach your dog to "leave it" with your hedgehog, the last thing your hedgehog wants is a "predator" your dog, always watching it while they try to mind their own business and go about their day, this can stress your little one out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the behavior is definitely number 2 and this doggo is just very nice i think its just jealousy cause im the person who gives her basically everything such as food, water, sleeping rock (me), i play with her and do literally everything with her when im not on my computer but she has gotten alot more chill than she was the first day we got our hedgie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts