Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hedgehog Keita is around 3 years old and a few months ago she stopped eating her kibble completely and dropped a fair amount in weight. I took her to the vet and they couldn’t find anything wrong so gave her a package of critical care to start me off with. She ate the package, as well as another I had bought before I started to give her wet cat food. I don’t exactly like a lot of the ingredients in cat food but it all depends on the brand. About a month ago I started making her food at home that is a mix of chicken and vegetables. (I also do this with liver but a few different ingredients that are safe). The question is, is this safe for my hedgehog to be eating everyday? She clears the bowl every night + a vitamin supplement from exotic nutrition is sprinkled in. I took her to an emergency vet about 2 months back as well and they said they didn’t see anything besides her teeth looked a little dirty, as they had to sedate her to get a good look. Looking at her teeth at home (which she barely allows) it is obvious that some of them are missing so she has to have a softer diet. Or instead of everyday should I include wet/dry watered down cat food a few days a week to supplement?

·
Registered
5 Posts
mix the hedgehog diet with cat food and then slowly go towards the diet part because they dont like the diet as much as the cat food. also get some insects to provide much needed chitin for their spine. start with hand feeding crickets a certain amount depending on the size of your pet. then give him meal worms 4 times a week and later slowly expand the variethy of insects you give her to the point of catching insects outside. dont catch flies because they will make your hog very sick.

·
Registered
110 Posts
mix the hedgehog diet with cat food and then slowly go towards the diet part because they dont like the diet as much as the cat food. also get some insects to provide much needed chitin for their spine. start with hand feeding crickets a certain amount depending on the size of your pet. then give him meal worms 4 times a week and later slowly expand the variethy of insects you give her to the point of catching insects outside. dont catch flies because they will make your hog very sick.
You should never give a hedgehog insects from outside. It would certainly be convenient to be able to go outside and catch bugs, but you never know the state of their health and whether they have been in pesticides. :)
My hedgehog Keita is around 3 years old and a few months ago she stopped eating her kibble completely and dropped a fair amount in weight. I took her to the vet and they couldn’t find anything wrong so gave her a package of critical care to start me off with. She ate the package, as well as another I had bought before I started to give her wet cat food. I don’t exactly like a lot of the ingredients in cat food but it all depends on the brand. About a month ago I started making her food at home that is a mix of chicken and vegetables. (I also do this with liver but a few different ingredients that are safe). The question is, is this safe for my hedgehog to be eating everyday? She clears the bowl every night + a vitamin supplement from exotic nutrition is sprinkled in. I took her to an emergency vet about 2 months back as well and they said they didn’t see anything besides her teeth looked a little dirty, as they had to sedate her to get a good look. Looking at her teeth at home (which she barely allows) it is obvious that some of them are missing so she has to have a softer diet. Or instead of everyday should I include wet/dry watered down cat food a few days a week to supplement?
If she won't eat her kibble, I think the chicken and vegetables is probably okay. I'm not an expert on hedgehog nutrition, though. You might see if she'll go back to eating her kibble in a watered down form, but if not, I don't think the chicken would be a huge problem. It's certainly better than not eating. I would wait for some more input from someone a little more experienced than me, though. :)

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,144 Posts
Mealworms are treat insects, they are so high in phosphorus that too many will diplate calcium, in a diet where thats already low these are a terrible choice of insects to feed.
Honestly mealworms offer no benefits other than being a good treat so these are 100% not a needed insect.

3 years old is **** great age (my girl is the same age) It looks like she went of biscuits because of the state of her teeth.

Hedgehogs diets are not well known, but chicken and vegetables probably wont give enough.

1st there is no calcium here really, calciworms are great for this. Much better than vitamin supplements to.

2nd you need insects, the chitin is super important, plus they contain a whole load of fiber which is super important, as well as balancing the right level of phosphorus because while too much is bad the right amount is needed.

Locust, grasshoppers, roaches, calciworms (black solider fly larvea), brown crickets, earthworms, isopods (woodlice) are all great choices. Add these slowly Into the diet 1 at a time.

Feed the insects with carrots, kale, parsnips, greenbeans, ect they will eat these get a whole load more nutrients, and then makes them healthier for the hog, your hog will get these nutrients more than from the cooked vegetables. Never feed raw potatoes to them.

Hedgehogs have no cecum, so they can break down plant fibers the same as we can. By giving them to the insects, the insects break it down for them, and then they get those nutrients from the insects.

Insects should only be brought from a pet shop selling them for reptile consumption.

You can gut load them and then freeze them if you dont want to feed them live. And put them in the fridge for 15 mins to slow them down to make it easier to throw food in especially jumping ones!

3rd depending how you are cooking these, you might be loosing too many nutrients especially from plants that are already low nutrients. You need to steam them this saves a while lot more nutrients in the food.
Also dont use potatoes, they are very strachy and not much if anything else, a few days is fine but not all the time.

4th You need grains, brown rice is the best, these help with combinging poo, as well as giving fiber and whole load of other nutrients. Cooked brown rice is easy for them to digits.

And theres so much more! Honestly its not easy.
I have done a pet nutrition course and while hedgehogs are not included, there are a lot of similarities to cats and dogs - except they have a cecum while Hedgehogs don't.
I still dont count myself as an expect either.

Honestly I would find a good complete wet meat to use, this will certainly ensure she gets the right nutrients like the cat biscuits did.
I have no idea what you can get but: Applaws and True instincts are great.

The biggest problem is hedgehog diets and nutrition needs are not really known and hasnt really got any research going on. A big reason we dont even have suitable food made spefically for them is this. And its not as easy as other pets to research these guys either as a lot of owners dont work with people who want to like with other pets. (Not that other pets food is that great for them either!! But its much better and theres enough known to make your own to!)

Also just a few general tips here that could help improve her health:

Small amount of fresh cooked salmon or salmon oil, is great for skin, quills and her heart health
I give Holly fresh cooked salmon weekly, noticed a huge improvement in her generally.

Ginger can help sooth upset stomachs, releave nausea, ease motion sickness, and aids with digestion, anti inflammatory, and anti cancer properties
I have used ginger in treats as well as sprinkled a small amount on food when I dont have the treats, I have done this most her life and at 3 only had a toe nail bed infection.

Cinnamon can boots energy, and has natural anti fungal properties
I've also used this in treats I make, as well as on her food when not using the treats used most her life.

Plaque X made for dogs on cats a small amount like the dip in the scoop, daily, on the food right before you give it to them, is great for their teeth actually helps with keeping them clean, the charcoal helps their stomach and the turmeric has so many benefits to.
Holly is 3 years old to when she went to the vet a little while ago for her toe, he gave her a whole check over, he was a bit shocked at how well her teeth are! And I have use this majority her life, before that I used a biscuit that had tartar control and plaque off which is just the seaweed side of the plaque X.

Coconut oil is also great for quill health, fur health and skin.
I use it when I cook her up small meals or when I do her egg. This is uses a few times a week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mealworms are treat insects, they are so high in phosphorus that too many will diplate calcium, in a diet where thats already low these are a terrible choice of insects to feed.
Honestly mealworms offer no benefits other than being a good treat so these are 100% not a needed insect.

3 years old is **** great age (my girl is the same age) It looks like she went of biscuits because of the state of her teeth.

Hedgehogs diets are not well known, but chicken and vegetables probably wont give enough.

1st there is no calcium here really, calciworms are great for this. Much better than vitamin supplements to.

2nd you need insects, the chitin is super important, plus they contain a whole load of fiber which is super important, as well as balancing the right level of phosphorus because while too much is bad the right amount is needed.

Locust, grasshoppers, roaches, calciworms (black solider fly larvea), brown crickets, earthworms, isopods (woodlice) are all great choices. Add these slowly Into the diet 1 at a time.

Feed the insects with carrots, kale, parsnips, greenbeans, ect they will eat these get a whole load more nutrients, and then makes them healthier for the hog, your hog will get these nutrients more than from the cooked vegetables. Never feed raw potatoes to them.

Hedgehogs have no cecum, so they can break down plant fibers the same as we can. By giving them to the insects, the insects break it down for them, and then they get those nutrients from the insects.

Insects should only be brought from a pet shop selling them for reptile consumption.

You can gut load them and then freeze them if you dont want to feed them live. And put them in the fridge for 15 mins to slow them down to make it easier to throw food in especially jumping ones!

3rd depending how you are cooking these, you might be loosing too many nutrients especially from plants that are already low nutrients. You need to steam them this saves a while lot more nutrients in the food.
Also dont use potatoes, they are very strachy and not much if anything else, a few days is fine but not all the time.

4th You need grains, brown rice is the best, these help with combinging poo, as well as giving fiber and whole load of other nutrients. Cooked brown rice is easy for them to digits.

I have done a pet nutrition course and while hedgehogs are not included, there are a lot of similarities to cats and dogs - except they have a cecum while Hedgehogs don't.

Honestly I would find a good complete wet meat to use, this will certainly ensure she gets the right nutrients like the cat biscuits did.

The biggest problem is hedgehog diets and nutrition needs are not really known and hasnt really got any research going on. A big reason we dont even have suitable food made spefically for them is this. And its not as easy as other pets to research these guys either as a lot of owners dont work with people who want to like with other pets. (Not that other pets food is that great for them either!! But its much better and theres enough known to make your own to!)

Small amount of fresh cooked salmon or salmon oil, is great for skin, quills and her heart health
I give Holly fresh cooked salmon weekly, noticed a huge improvement in her generally.

Ginger can help sooth upset stomachs, releave nausea, ease motion sickness, and aids with digestion, anti inflammatory, and anti cancer properties
I have used ginger in treats as well as sprinkled a small amount on food when I dont have the treats, I have done this most her life and at 3 only had a toe nail bed infection.

I've also used this in treats I make, as well as on her food when not using the treats used most her life.

Plaque X made for dogs on cats a small amount like the dip in the scoop, daily, on the food right before you give it to them, is great for their teeth actually helps with keeping them clean, the charcoal helps their stomach and the turmeric has so many benefits to.
Holly is 3 years old to when she went to the vet a little while ago for her toe, he gave her a whole check over, he was a bit shocked at how well her teeth are! And I have use this majority her life, before that I used a biscuit that had tartar control and plaque off which is just the seaweed side of the plaque X.

I use it when I cook her up small meals or when I do her egg. This is uses a few times a week.
Thank you so much. There’s a lot to process so I can’t respond to the whole thing, but this was extremely informative and helpful and I hope others can see this. Yes the vegetables are steamed, and then it gets puréed so she can eat it easier. I will add the brown rice because that’s something I never even thought about. When she stopped eating the mealworms I got crickets instead. She is allowed access to outside but doesn’t really catch any bugs which I’m happy with. She’s been eating the diet recently but it gets mixed in with iams wet cat food. On certain days she gets a big plate of just the iams to keep her weight in the range I need her to be at. With veggies I only use a select few and potatoes are never included. She’s kinda picky so I try to stick to the same two ish recipes

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Re-reading I realized I did never mention the insect part of her diet, unless i mentioned it somewhere else but I can’t see it on my phone currently. She did used to eat mealworms occasionally and crickets. She kinda ignores the crickets now but will eat them when she wants. I include it in some of her food. Since you have your own hedgehog, have you ever seen them just randomly open their mouth? It’s not as if she’s trying to breathe ( that’s all I can find on the internet). But it’s random I’d say between 20 min - to an hour that I’ll catch her doing it depending on the day. She still is eating and running as normal, and I opened her mouth with a q-tip to get a better look and I didn’t see anything. I can’t help but think maybe one of her other teeth is bothering her or is lose? I’m not sure, and it’s ok if you don’t either, cause I can’t find anything about it.

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,144 Posts
Re-reading I realized I did never mention the insect part of her diet, unless i mentioned it somewhere else but I can’t see it on my phone currently. She did used to eat mealworms occasionally and crickets. She kinda ignores the crickets now but will eat them when she wants. I include it in some of her food. Since you have your own hedgehog, have you ever seen them just randomly open their mouth? It’s not as if she’s trying to breathe ( that’s all I can find on the internet). But it’s random I’d say between 20 min - to an hour that I’ll catch her doing it depending on the day. She still is eating and running as normal, and I opened her mouth with a q-tip to get a better look and I didn’t see anything. I can’t help but think maybe one of her other teeth is bothering her or is lose? I’m not sure, and it’s ok if you don’t either, cause I can’t find anything about it.
I tend to give as much information as possible so I really wasnt expecting a response to the whole lot! Glad its helped though!

Holly goes off insects if she has them too often, coukd roaches or locusts/hoppers, calciworms, to try break up the crickets also gets a wider range of nutrients in her.

The only time I have ever really seen Holly open her mouth is when eating or yawning.Th

I did see something about a hog who did this, it started off not often and became more often, the owner and vet both though he was just being weird (he was a pretty weird one) and then they found out he had some form of cancer which was causing it.
Not trying to scare you at all here! Just the only thing Ik of other than breathing, which you ruled out!
Could be worth getting a scan to make sure though just to make sure.

Could always be a back tooth bothering her and she does it when it hurts or if it wobbles. But again that would be good to get a vet to have a good look at under anastasia to make it easier to really look.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts