Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so i already posted once about this topic but no replys and i really need to know if what i want to do for heating the cage is safe. Sorry if im getting anoying but i cant find the answer.
anyways, my cage is a ALL metal 2 level 2ft x 2ft x 2ft x 2ft cage and its about 2 1/2 ft tall. The second level is small wire mesh(small enough where there feet cant go threw but big enough so there toenails don't get caught.

The question i have is, can i buy a heating dome and heating light and set that up on top of the cage?
will it get too hot? or will it be ok?
and should i leave that heating lamp on the cage 24 7?
what size for my cage would heat it enough?

please consider i live in the basement and it can get cold down here, stays usually around 68-71 degrees, give or take a degree.

i really want to make sure my hedgie stays comffy and warm, so if someone can tell me about heat lamps and heating the cages, that would help me out a lot.

·
Registered
151 Posts
To be honest I think that you might not get much info on how to heat that cage. I am assuming you mean the galvanized metal cage? Those aren't really the best for a hedgehog at all. The combo of mesh floor, metal pans rusting from the urine and not being as easy to clean are not ideal. Also, does that second level have a barrier so the hedgie won't fall?

Metal floor cages make heating really difficult. It gets cold easy, then conducts heat so well it can overheat and burn your little buddy. Is there any way you can get a more suitable cage? C&C cages are really cheap to make, you can even buy them pre-made and get them shipped to you:

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/cc_cages_ ... omZQQ_ipgZ

If you still want to find out about heating, take a look at the housing section. There are lots of stickies there for heating - but again, they don't really apply to your type of cage as it's not a recommended type.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I'm assuming it's pure metal wire and not coated wire?

I would have to agree with Knitfreak about the (full) metal cage not being ideal, in the ways they already stated.

Plastic bottom cages are safer, in many ways.

The only way I can see how the heating would be safe(r) would be to use a space heater, rather than a lamp. That way, the entire area is set at a comfortable temperature, with a lower potential danger of the metal heating to the point of burning your hedgie. (it doesn't take much heat to burn a hedgie, someone on this board accidentally burned their hedgie's feet because the water from the household tap was too hot) It would also keep the metal from conducting the cold, as the space heater "should" keep the metal warm, but not hot.

If you are set on using a lamp, I'd try it with the lamp held a few inches above the cage, rather than directly on it(and preferably, without the hedgie inside the cage). And then see how the heat affects the metal, and how far the heat travels through the metal. I'd just worry about the hedgie getting too close to the heated bars on both levels, especially the second level and end up burning themselves. Could also try coroplast to make a barrier so that the hedgie does not come in contact with the bars at all, that's another possibility. But also have to check that the heated metal bars won't melt the plastic.

(I'm just theorizing here, so some things might be completely wrong. But best would be to get a better cage, or run some trial and error tests without the hedgie inside the cage)

·
Registered
191 Posts
A different cadge would be a lot better so I strongly recommend replacing the metal one. If you have to use the metal cadge I have to go with Immortalia a space heater would be safest. I have a wire rabbit cadge and I use a ceramic heat lamp. My heating system includes: ceramic heat emitter (http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=742), thermostat (http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=75), lamp clamp (http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=402), and a digital thermometer I purchased at a pet store so that I could monitor the temperature. I like to keep the temperature at about 74-76 degrees F. Only use this heating system if you get a different cadge!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts