Hedgehog Central banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
The dome with the thermostat is your best option and will ultimately be the easiest. It sits on top of the cage bars of the roof pointing down. You do not need a guard if you do this because the cage bars serve that purpose.

With the dome you may or may not need anything to cover the back or one side of the cage. I'd start with that. The thermostat will let you see exactly where the temperature is in the cage. Then you will be able to see if any further steps are needed.

If you do need coroplast, you can get it later. (It is called coroplast, not chloroplast)

This photo shows a similar cage to yours with a dome on top.

Attachments

Reactions: nikki

·
Registered
335 Posts
The following video explains how to set up a CHE with a thermostat. She happens to use a different thermostat that has a dial instead of being digital. I prefer the digital. But the concept is all the same and she explains about the plugs and cords as well.

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,103 Posts
Yea okay I couldnt remember the spelling and my dyslexia kicked in so I didnt spell it correct.

The dome pretty much protects itself which is generally why they dont need the guard, the bars only protect it from the hog not from you.

Also the thermostat is what controls the temp and when the heat goes on and off. The thermometer is what states the temp of the cage.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Ok, so I get the dome, put in the lamp, get a thermostat and a thermometer, see if I need any more adjustments, and if I do, I use coroplast around the cage.

Ok, ok, I can do that. Thank you all so much for the help.

·
Registered
335 Posts
This is the thermostat I have. I like it because it shows the temperature that I have it set (the bottom number of 75). It also shows the current cage temperature (the top number of 77.9).

Clearly the heat lamp will not be turning on when the indoor temperature is already above 75. But being able to see the current temperature is a good thing.

I also have a 2nd, separate thermometer to read the temp on the other side of the cage. That's the 2nd photo and you can see the cage is slightly cooler on that side.

Attachments

21 - 26 of 26 Posts