Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a hedgie yesterday and i was wondering how to keep his cage at the right temperature.
For the first night i just turned my thermostat up to about eighty but it still seemed too cold in my room so i bought a ceramic heat lamp for him today. it's 100W and i put the fixture on top just to the right of where he sleeps. does anyone know if these get too hot? and if so, how to hook them up to a thermostat to keep it controlled? any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
70 Posts
You can get a thermostat like this Reptitemp 500R to help regulate the temperature while checking with an in-cage thermostat.

http://www.amazon.ca/Zoo-Med-Repti-Temp-Thermometer-Sensor/dp/B004PBAWOE

Or you can get a rheostat is a little more finicky to adjust but is a little cheaper.

You could also try getting a lamp dimmer slider switch and a 20 program Noma timer to adjust the heat output and exposure times.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I would check out the thread that LarryT posted. Do not get a rheostat or dimmer. Neither of those things are appropriate for heating a hedgehog's cage as they don't keep a steady temperature. It could easily get too cold or hot, or even just have the temperature fluctuate too much and cause a hibernation attempt. If you are going to use a CHE, you definitely need a thermostat to use with it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is a thermostat completely necessary? i've had it on the cage for a few hours and it doesn't seem to get too hot. just makes it feel nice and warm in there. also, i forgot to ask if i should be turning it off ever or if i should leave it on him constantly?
Like with my veiled chameleon i would leave it on all day and then turn it off over night.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Yes, a thermostat is necessary, as well as a thermometer. You need to know what the temperature actually is, in case it's getting too hot/cold, or changing too much. A thermostat will also save you money and energy, and make the CHE last longer since it'll turn off the CHE when it's not needed, and turn it back on when it is. It's a lot of money right now, but it's worth it in the end. The temperature may seem fine in the cage now, but it can fluctuate easily with how the temperature outside the cage changes, and it could be getting too hot without you know it. Feeling with your skin isn't a reliable method of checking temperature - it could feel pleasant to you and be way too hot, or be too cool still. And the temperature needs to stay constant day and night, so you don't want to be leaving it off overnight or for a long period of time.

·
Registered
70 Posts
"... in-cage thermometer" is what I meant. There also is a Hydrofarm mtprtc thermostat on Amazon that's about $30 which might work and is cheaper than the Reptitemp, but you'd have to check the details of that one a bit more to make sure it can work with the wattage of your heat emitter.

As lilysmommy mentioned, the rheostat and dimmer/timer combos aren't the best solutions, but sometimes there are more than just one way to get to the same destination.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright i will have to get one of those. in the mean time anything different i should be doing until i get it? i have the lamp and fixture sitting on the top of his cage, which is about 16 inches from the bottom. positioned right in the center

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
See if you can get a digital thermometer with a probe at a store near you. You can find them at pet stores, or you could probably find them at stores like Walmart. That'll help you monitor the temperature a little better. Also keep an eye on him for cues as to how he's dealing with the temperature as well - little or no activity could mean he's either too hot (doesn't want to run because of heat) or too cold (sleeping more because of cooler temperatures), and splatting out (laying on their belly with their legs sticking out to the sides or front/back) can sometimes be a sign that they're too hot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well he doesn't seem to be doing any of those things ha. he does run into his house to sleep after he eats,drinks and whatever else, but it seems pretty normal. all the pet stores are closed by now but do you really think wal mart would have one? or at least something that would work

1 - 12 of 12 Posts