Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am very new to the Hedgehog's word and try to sort things out. There are some souses of info saying just the opposite things...

To maintain the adequate temperature of 74-80 F I am going to use ceramic heater.
I was going to let the hedgehog to play, run around the apartment. If I do so, then the air temperature will be colder...is not it worth to have temperature jumping by several degrees, than the steady lower temperature? Also, how do they do not hibernate in pet stores (in my area they keep hedgehogs in open top aquariums)?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Welcome to HHC!

That's the sad part about the internet and the fact these guys have only been pets for only a few decades, care information has changed over the years and just plain wrong care that has been posted, even Vets can have the wrong information. It ends up being the duty of the owners to decide what is best for their hedgehog versus what is said on the internet, a prime example is hamster balls, many owners use them, breeder sites even promote them, but they are not recommended because hogs use the bathroom as they run and there have been many cases of foot injury due to the slits in the ball. I'll say that the Hedgehog Central Forums is probably the best place for information.

By Ceramic Heater, do you mean an Emitter or a Space Heater? I'm assuming the CHEs that we all use around here. It would probably depend on the change in temperature from what it is inside the cage to what it is on the floor. Keep in mind the floor is always cooler than the air above. I don't think too major of a temperature change is bad (a couple of degrees) but could also not be the best idea if its a major jump, otherwise the hog might catch a chill and try to hibernate. 75'F is usually the key temperature to keep them at, though some like it hoter, some like it colder. The usual recommended range is 73'F to 78'F, 80'F depending on the hog can be a touch too hot for them.

But I would get a thermometer and put it on the floor to see what the temperature is, its good to have them out and about, plus when they are active, they do kind of generate their own heat. If it was me, when I got him/her out, I'd snuggle and hold them for a good 5 to 10 minutes before putting them on the floor to allow them to adjust to the temperature changes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for a quick reply!
You were right, by Ceramic Heater I meant an Emitter :)
I found everything in the local pet store, but have troubles finding the thermostat... just need to keep looking.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Online is the best place really, look up "ZooMed Repti-Temp 500R", if you don't go with that, just make sure you get something that can be set to a specific temperature, there are "Rheostats" used for reptiles, but are just a dimmer switch, thus temperatures would go up and down according to the room temp.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
kukuruzo78 said:
Hi,
Also, how do they do not hibernate in pet stores (in my area they keep hedgehogs in open top aquariums)?

Thank you
They do, we just don't know about it. Sometimes in pet stores they have lights over top that are on during the day and the warmth from the lights are enough to warm them back up again. Often when they are hibernating, the employees think they are dead. :evil:

Depending on where you live, ordering a Repti-temp online might be your only option. If you are in Canada, order from a Canadian supplier to avoid any risk of duty.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Nancy said:
kukuruzo78 said:
Hi,
Also, how do they do not hibernate in pet stores (in my area they keep hedgehogs in open top aquariums)?

Thank you
They do, we just don't know about it. Sometimes in pet stores they have lights over top that are on during the day and the warmth from the lights are enough to warm them back up again. Often when they are hibernating, the employees think they are dead. :evil:
Yeah...The pet store near me that had two females in a cage (both have been sold to hopefully good homes now), they had no heat for them for awhile. I didn't realize this at first, for some reason I was under the impression that the light was also providing heat. :? I went in once though, and got the smaller one out, and she was fine. Got the larger one out, who I had already noticed was a bit wobbly, and she was stone cold. :( I immediately went up and told the main guy who works with them that she was hibernating and could die, and that they needed heat. I told him this in front of some other customers, which may be why he immediately switched a heat lamp from an empty cage to the hedgehog cage. >.> I then walked around with the poor little girl under my shirt for 30-45 minutes until she was warmed back up. Those pet store employees just didn't know what to make of me! :lol:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked around, but found the "ZooMed Repti-Temp 500R". It is a bit pricey (50$). I wander, how much more would I pay (i mean duty and other fees) ordering one on-line from the USA.
Also, how come lots of stores sell lamps, but none of the things that control them... maybe it is just different for reptiles, but still the lamp should stop sometimes heating.

I just do not know what to say about pet stores... it's sad. and wish they hire more knowledgeable people.
I have then one more question, but out of topic - is where should I but the hedgehog?...
The closest breeder from the list is several hours of driving. I thought to get one from the pet store, but how would I know if the hedgehog did not try to hibernate. If he did, then he might be not in the good health

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
$50 is a normal price to pay for the emitter. Whether having one shipped from the US would be cheaper is a gamble you would have to take. If you got hit with duty, probably not. If no duty, then maybe.

·
Registered
220 Posts
kukuruzo78 said:
I looked around, but found the "ZooMed Repti-Temp 500R". It is a bit pricey (50$). I wander, how much more would I pay (i mean duty and other fees) ordering one on-line from the USA.
Also, how come lots of stores sell lamps, but none of the things that control them... maybe it is just different for reptiles, but still the lamp should stop sometimes heating.

I just do not know what to say about pet stores... it's sad. and wish they hire more knowledgeable people.
I have then one more question, but out of topic - is where should I but the hedgehog?...
The closest breeder from the list is several hours of driving. I thought to get one from the pet store, but how would I know if the hedgehog did not try to hibernate. If he did, then he might be not in the good health
These things tend to be a bit pricey but online is a great option. Like Nancy said though, you have to either gamble when it hits the border or otherwise be comfortable with buying online. I got mine online and it was much cheaper but no easy "returns" like at the pet store if I had a problem.

Thermostats are hard to find! I found one at a small local pet shop but ordered mine online too... I got an industrial-grade one which I love. Other ones online have specific temperature settings which is better than an unspecified graduated setting like the Reptitemp (but just use a thermometer to determine the end temperature). Lots of options out there... take your time, read up on them and then make a decision.

As for breeders... I'm no expert and might deserve its own thread. I know nikki breeds hedgies but she's north Alberta which probably wouldn't work either. Pet store hedgies need a home too, just probably not cared for as well as a breeder. Like I said, I'm no expert so somebody will be able to advise you better! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts