Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO we've had Quilloughby for a little over a week now. My curiousity now concerns heating. We havent bought a heating set up yet, as we have been keeping the apartment at around 70-72ºF. I did warm it up a bit more than that one day, and he was not too happy. Crankier than usual, and would not move much. He didnt even use his wheel at all that night.

Is it normal for a hedgie to like the temp a little lower? I know that his home before didnt heat him at all and kept him in a rather chilly basement. I was also curious to know if its a bad idea to keep the apartment the right temp as opposed to getting a heating set up? At least for the time being?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Wow. That is different. My thought would be to keep it at a consistent 70-72 with which he seems to be doing well. Just make sure to check that his belly in nice and warm morning and night and be prepared to increase the heat if he ever starts feeling cool. I'd suspect that, at some point in his life, 70-72 won't work as well as it does now. From what I've read by those who've had hedgies over their entire life span, the older ones seem to need more heat than the younger ones.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea i thought it was a bit odd as well. His belly is nice and warm (now that he lets me touch it!) and fuzzy too!

I'd like to eventually get him a ceramic heat emitter, but money is a bit tight with the holidays. I was just wondering if it would be alright to keep things as they are for now. We like it toasty in the living area too, where his cage is, so it works out well!

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have a Snuggle-Safe disk for additional warmth, not sure if that would be in your budget. Riley is older and loves his, Whyte steers clear away from it, he's a few months old and will not use it at all. I only heat Whyte's at night (yes, even though he wont use it, I like knowing its a backup option if he changes his mind) and I heat up Riley's for both day and night.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually had considered doing that... at least for the winter months. DO they sell them at pet stores at all or should I just order it online?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Linsoid said:
I actually had considered doing that... at least for the winter months. DO they sell them at pet stores at all or should I just order it online?
My more recent experience is it's rather hit-or-miss to find them in pet stores. If you're going to one anyhow (like for mealies or whatever), I'd check to see if they have it or call ahead so you don't make a trip for nothing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
most of the pet stores are pretty close, so its not a super long trip or anything. We actually do need to get mealies, thanks for the reminder! haha

·
Registered
902 Posts
Mine were found at Petsmart and cost $40 which I choked at but I didn't shop around online first. It was a spontaneous purchase. You might be able to find them cheaper elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Linsoid, Quigley is similar. He loves cooler temperatures. I don't have a heating system for him because I don't pay hydro and it's just easier and cheaper for me to keep the apartment nice and toasty. I have it between 73 and 75. If we allow him access he will nap beside the front door which is the coldest place in the whole apartment because it is far away from the heater, the floor is linoleum and the hallway of the apartment building is always freezing and it comes in a bit under the door. Also he's three years old so you would think that colder temperatures would start to bother him a bit more but no sign of that yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found some for $21 on Amazon.com. I am thinking of getting this for my Squeebie too. We sleep cold and I don't have central heat so he is sleeping with a heating pad under his bed right now.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
A heating pad and especially a snuggle safe disc is NOT suitable as a heating source for a cage. They provide spot heating only and if the whole cage is not warm enough, the change from going from a very warm heating pad/snuggle safe to an unheated cage is dramatic and is not at all healthy. Snuggle safes are good for providing heat when taken out in a vehicle, after bath, or temporary short term use when more heat is needed in bed.

A heating pad on occasion will work to provide just a wee bit more heat to a bin style cage. This is provided the cage environment is within a degree or two of what is required. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nancy said:
A heating pad and especially a snuggle safe disc is NOT suitable as a heating source for a cage. They provide spot heating only and if the whole cage is not warm enough, the change from going from a very warm heating pad/snuggle safe to an unheated cage is dramatic and is not at all healthy. Snuggle safes are good for providing heat when taken out in a vehicle, after bath, or temporary short term use when more heat is needed in bed.

A heating pad on occasion will work to provide just a wee bit more heat to a bin style cage. This is provided the cage environment is within a degree or two of what is required. :)
SO should i not get him the snuggle safe and leave things as they are? He seems not to have a problem in his current cage with the temp as is.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Snuggle safes are great for what I said so having one is a good idea, just not as cage heating.

What are you using to heat the cage now? :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Currently i have the house heated to about 72. We had it higher, and he was a lot crabbier than normal and would not come out of his ball. I brought it back down to 72 and he was happy again. Thats what the original post was about lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts