Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I have a quick question about the type of heater I plan on using when my hedgie arrives. Please keep in mind that I am in South Africa and we don't have the wonderful selection like you have.

Ok I have what is called a wall mounted panel heater. Its basically a square shaped panel that mounts on the wall. It claims the following:

¤ Ultra slim and compact design.
¤ Safer for children and pets.
¤ Uses minimal electricity.
¤ Asbestos free.
¤ Environmentally friendly.

It claims to heat and 3m by 4m room and I know it creates a nice amount of heat when directly in front of it although it does not warm up my lounge. But having said that the space my hedgie will go is in a 3x4m room and it will efficiently heat that area up. Would this suffice? The only other heaters we have here are gas heaters and fan heaters which are a no no and then super duper expensive ones that only start in the 1000's.

Then the other question is this: when I bring him out to play and cuddle (hopefully, ha) with me in my lounge is it ok for it to be somewhat cooler than in his cage? Is this a huge problem in terms of liberation attempts?

Ah, I'm sorry to do this but I just thought of another thing. I'm getting my hedgie from Johannesburg and is then being driven to Cape Town (which is where I live). Keep in mind we are in winter now so the drive could get chilly. What could I do in order to make his travels comfy and warm?

Sorry about the lengthy post and I thank anyone in advance who offers their kind help.

Sarah

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
The heater seems fine to me, just make sure you always have a working thermometer to keep an eye on the temp. Does the heater have a thermostat by any chance?

During bonding time, it should be fine if it's not overly cool, because you don't want your hedgie catching a cold. If you have tile floors, I would suggest putting some sort of sheet down, so the hedgie won't be directly on the cold floor. You can toss the sheet in the dryer for a bit to warm it up first as well. If you have something like a hot water bottle, you can fill that with hot water, wrap it with fleece, and put it down with the hedgie, so they can have the option to go somewhere warmer.

Don't forget, they can get warm from our body heat as well, so a hedgie on your lap can stay plenty warm. So I would recommend some sort of hedgie bonding bag ^_^

From what I've read on here, most hibernation attempts happen over the span of "overnight". But you would have to watch out for your hedgie catching an URI.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Immortalia!

With regards to the heater - I do have a working thermometer which I will be keeping in the cage just to make sure the heater warms his little house sufficiently. It does not however have a thermostat but it is definitely something that is on the list of things to buy - lots has to be done before my little man arrives! The heater itself does however have a switch on it in case it gets to hot or something. So I suppose that's good.

My apartment is tiled, I do however have a carpet in my lounge. But will definitely be putting a hot water bottle out for him as well as warming a sheet beforehand. Thanks for the suggestions! And the cuddling to keep him warm will not a problem from my side =) Oh and my mom will be helping me make all sorts of goodies out of fleece.

Just with regards to my mom - she lives in Stellenbosch, and I in Cape Town, which is about a 30 minute drive. What would be the best way to get him there? I go there every Sunday to visit her and my dad and they are dying to see my little man. I just want to make sure I make the journey as 'fun' and stress free as possible. Any suggestions?

Ok that's good to know - I didn't realise hibernation attempts happened so quickly! I'm now in a little bit of a panic - what if he tries while I'm sleeping?

And lastly (I promise) what is an URI? Excuse my ignorance... I'm assuming it's something along the lines of an upper respiratory infection, but just want to make sure?

Thanks again Immortalia for your response - it is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Larry

In winter (which is now) it gets down to about 13 degrees Celcius sometimes 10. And in summer it can get up to around 45 degrees Celcius - but that is a whopping hot day!

I also wanted to apologise but have been having trouble logging in (this is the first time in about a week I have been able to log in) for 'kidnapping' one of your posts regarding junk food! It was somewhat rude of me, I just finally made it in to the forum and had to post as quick as possible. I have major troubles logging in and staying in - no idea why!

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
hoglet said:
Hi Larry

In winter (which is now) it gets down to about 13 degrees Celcius sometimes 10. And in summer it can get up to around 45 degrees Celcius - but that is a whopping hot day!

I also wanted to apologise but have been having trouble logging in (this is the first time in about a week I have been able to log in) for 'kidnapping' one of your posts regarding junk food! It was somewhat rude of me, I just finally made it in to the forum and had to post as quick as possible. I have major troubles logging in and staying in - no idea why!
:lol: I dont know what temp. that would be over here. :D
U can kiddnap my post anytime :lol: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I forgot you guys use Fahrenheit. It would be about 50*Fahrenheit as the lowest in winter and then in summer it ranges from around 80 - 110. The latter obviously being a scorcher of a day. And me being a winter person, I absolutely hate it!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya I know - luckily our apartment is nice and cool in the summer. Outside it gets boiling, but inside it stays at around 80*Fahrenheit and I remember reading somewhere that the temperature must stay between 75 and 82.

What about when travelling with him? What can I do to make his journey comfortable and stress free with regards to heating and what to move him around in?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No no, by car. The first time will be from Johannesburg to Cape Town and then the odd half hour drive to Stellenbosch to visit my parents.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Well if your car has heat or ac just keep it comfortable inside the cab with no draft coming around him.
A box,coffee can,plastic container etc. will work..just put some fleece inside to cover up with :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup I've gathered that fleece is an absolute necessity in pretty much every aspect of a hedgie. I just wasn't sure what would be the best 'car seat' so to speak for him. But thanks for the advice!

Just a quick thought - would a hamster cage not be alright for him to travel in? Line it with fleece and put a little hedgie bag in there too? Maybe even put down a hot water bottle or something? These are just ideas and I'd be more than happy to not do this if it were in any way harmful...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yay! I'm getting there...thanks to all your help! It's quite a daunting thing getting a hedgehog but I can't even tell you how excited I am. My boyfriend is on the verge of breaking up with me because all I do is research hedgies haha. Well no he's not but I literally spend my life on this forum. Even when I'm not home I access it via my phone, ha.

I'll make it a warm water bottle then, ha.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh there will no chance of him running away with my little man! Fall in love he'd better, ha. He does love animals, just not as much as I do. But he's been trying to come up with some names and what not so that's a nice start!

But anyway I must be off - dinner time! Yumbo.

Thanks again for your help - so appreciated! And I'm sure you have not heard the last of me.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
URI = Upper respiratory infection -> cold symptoms

I travel a lot with my hedgie. I have an actual cat carrier for car travel. Somthing similar to this http://common.csnstores.com/common/products/IH/IH1048_l.jpg and then I strap it in with the seat belt. The problem I'd have with the hamster cage is that you can't strap it in properly. I stick the seat belt through the top loop of the cat carrier to keep it from moving around.

So obviously, the carrier is much larger than the hedgie, so part of the back is stuffed with fleece. Then, I always let him travel in his "bed". It's the fleece he's been sleeping on/with, that has all of his comfy home scents. I find that it keeps him calm, and he sleeps through the entire ride. I'll then pile the extra fleece I'll be needing on top, so that he can't "really" roll and tumble around in the carrier.

Now, for summer travelling, I recently made another thread asking about how to keep cool. You can find some ideas here: http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2398

For winter, the hot water bottle idea is good, many use it. And it keeps them nice and warm. Also, make sure you warm your car up first. For me, I don't use a hot water bottle, but my car is always warmed up first, and I turn on the heated seats on BOTH our sides :lol:

It will be good to have a thermometer while travelling as well, so you can keep an eye on the temp.

If you can wait till sunday, I can take some pictures and upload them then to get a better idea of my set up lol

Also, how long will the trip be(erm...as in how long do you stay at family's)? You may want to set up a temp "rubbermaid" cage for travel so that you'll have somewhere for him to sleep, eat, drink, poop and pee :lol:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the brilliant suggestions! I'll definitely be getting my mom's spare cat carrier, I'd hate for him to fall off the seat or something. Those pictures would be awfully helpful along with super cute =)

I won't be staying over the night or anything like that, its just important to know how to go about travelling with him.

Thanks again for the help and look forward to cuteness overload of your pictures! Yay!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts