Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a human heating pad which I folded together and placed it underneath his cage. It's plastic, but it certainly won't burn the cage. I have tested and placed my fingers on the surface, it is quite warm to the touch, but my hedgie always curls up RIGHT in the heat.

Basically he just kicks the bedding and lays on the hot surface. It's pretty warm, so I am sure it won't burn him, otherwise he'd move away, right? I can't use a heating lamp, so is the heating pad alternative good enough? It's only in his den area where the heat emits.

And I have an air conditioner in my window, so that's kind of an issue when it gets hot, and I can't cover his cage in day time, just to not risk him hibernating.

Also, since he sleeps so much during the day, will he know it's day time? I don't want to risk anything.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
A heating pad isn't the best thing to use for a sole source of heat - you need something that's going to heat the air as well. Why can't you use a heating lamp? A space heater is the main other heating set up that heats the air like you need. The set up you're describing could easily cause a hibernation attempt - going from the warm sleeping area to the cooler area to run could trigger one, especially since it tends to be cooler at night when he'll be out and about in his cage.

A breeze from the air conditioner can also cause a hibernation attempts - drafts aren't good, and cold drafts are worse. Can you move the cage away from the air conditioner? If not, you do need to cover it. If you're concerned about making sure he's getting enough light to prevent an attempt as well (which is a good thing to think about!), it'd be a good idea to get a lamp specifically for his cage. You can get cheap clamp lamps at a hardware store (or on Amazon) for $10 or less, I believe, and just a regular 60-watt light bulb will work just fine. You can also get a timer for around $5 to plug the lamp into and set it so it'll turn on and off at the same time each day & stay regular. That helps eliminate the possibility of forgetting - I did that a couple times with Lily and it triggered a hibernation attempt at least once. I got a timer after that, which worked much better.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Handy resource for Canadians: Pets & Ponds, an online mail-order that has thermostats, heat lamps & timers if you live far from a petstore & don't want to pay Amazon's duties.

Lillysmommy covered the heating issues -- heat pads don't warm the air.

For the lighting vs. draft problem: you do need to shelter him from the A/C, and you do need to keep him on steady lighting. Relying on window-light isn't awesome since it changes with the season and the whole point is to keep them from noticing winter, and ambient lighting from when you need light can be erratic in its own way. If you have the space to build a solid wall/roof protecting him from the A/C while using a normal lighting setup on a timer, perfect, problem solved! If space is tighter than that, maybe you can mount strip-lights (like for aquariums or bookshelf accent-lighting) to the bottom of a draft-blocking cover? In that case, I'd absolutely go for LEDs to avoid uncontrolled overheating or fire-safety issues.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts