Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ghost had her first hibernation attempt the other day and scared the living daylights out of me. Since then, she's had a heating pad in her sleeping igloo to keep warm.

However, I'm looking for a better solution for heating the entire cage rather than just her igloo. She has a large, plastic Sterilite container cage. It seems like CHE bulbs + a clamp lamp seem to be the way to go, as I don't want to purchase a space heater.

I was wondering if clamp lamps are easily attachable to the edges of Sterilite bins? Or if someone uses a CHE in combination with their Sterilite bin, how do they affix the lamp to their cage? Do I need to get some kind of wall fixture?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Sometimes the clamps on those things aren't terribly reliable. All cages should have a lid. Depending on what the lid is made of, you can generally just set the lamp down on the lid. Wire shelving works really well as a lid and is safe to set the lamp on directly.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I use soft-ish lids on my bins and they can't safely hold the weight of a CHE fixture. My solution is to drill four holes in the side of the bin where the clamp sits (not on the rim of the bin but on the actual bin itself), and then weave a thick, high quality shoelace through the holes back and forth around the clamp. Pull it super tight, tie a bow, knot on top of the bow, and then grab and wiggle the fixture to make sure it doesn't shift at all. This way I can use the clamp pivot to angle the light into the cage where I want it to cause a conal spread of heat diagonally instead of just a downward cone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts