Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Omg. I thought i totally tackled the heating problem. The heat was around 71.4-72.5 yesterday and he was totally content. I have a 60 WATT CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) in a Flaker's Clamp Light. But this morning when i went to check on him (since I recently switched to Fleece lining), the temp was 68.4! OMG. So i picked him up and got him warmer with my body heat. and put two heating pads under his cage. One under his igloo and one under his wheel part so pratically the entire cage has a heating pad underneath it. Argh. I know i probably can't use these forever due to the fact he will probably want to stay under his igloo. What else can i do for him with the heat?

I have read "Heating Simplied" many many times. I was thinking perhaps i'll get those C&C crates from Bed Bath and Beyond for the cover and just put the clamp lamp right on to it so it glares right into the cage. good or bad idea?

I'd appreciate any (friendly) advice.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
It sounds like you may need to get a bulb with more watts. Most cages seem to need a CHE bulb with at least 100 watts, some of the bigger ones need two of 100 watts each, or one 150 watt one. I would try getting a 100 watt bulb, and see if that keeps the cage to the right temperature. Make sure you do have a thermostat though, as it's also more likely to get too hot and overheat the cage.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my clamp lamp can only do 75 WATTS... its designed for incandscent lights and che's.
i'm using a sterilite bin 30 by 16 and 12 in high.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Going to a C&C cage is only going to make it worse. Bins hold in far more heat than C&C's. The reason your clamp lamp will only handled up to 75 watts is probably because it is the small one. Ideally, the clamp fixture should be the 10" one and those ones will handle up to 250w. The larger fixture not only handles higher wattage emitters but it also directs the heat out over a larger area. If you still have the packaging for your clamp fixture, take it back and get a 10" one. Just make sure the one you get says it is for CHE's. Not all of the fixtures are safe for emitters.

What temperature do you have your thermostat set for? Try bumping it up a couple of degrees and see if that helps. Thing is though, you should be able to get that bin up to 80F if you wanted so if that setup won't do it, then you need a higher watt emitter and bigger clamp lamp. If you got the emitter and fixture at a store like Petco or Petsmart, you should have no problem exchanging them.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I don't think that lamp is going to work because the lowest wattage Ive ever heard of used in set up discussions is 100W. Because of your set up I feel the best bet would be a space heater because if the cage dropped to 68 then the room was probably even colder and then there wouldn't be a temp difference when you take your hedgehog out to bond.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you are tight on cash and need something fast there's this place in north jersey "Animals n Things" in woodbridge on rt 1 that has good prices (assuming you live nearby). I paid about $30 for my 250w CHE where as petsmart/petco charges $40 for a 150w.

http://animalsandthings.net/

If it's not so urgent, LinensNThings online has amazing prices.

ZooMed's 10" brooder lamp has a hook on the end so you can hang it from one of their stands. This may solve your clamp issue when you make a lid for your bin. This is what I use and it's sturdier than the clamp.

http://www.lnt.com/product/light-fixtur ... stand.html
http://www.lnt.com/product/light-fixtur ... -inch.html

Also they have a thermometer for $30 (usually $40 in the stores).
http://www.lnt.com/product/thermometers ... meter.html

Edit: I recommend a 150W or even a 250W if your house gets very cold in the winter like mine does. The 250W will also help to warm the ambient temperature if it's in a normal sized bedroom and you keep the door shut.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THanks!
I brought back and exchanged every and only had to pay $8.50 extra in total.
anyway, i set it up and set the thermostat to 75-76. it hasn't yet got up there though and it has been 2 hrs. hmmm.its now 100 watt che and a 150 watt clamp lamp from Flackers?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Allears.fan, I am glad you are reading the info about heat, asking questions and listening to the advice. I hope you get things figured out.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
My lamp also took some times to heat up the space, even in an already warm room. As long as there is some sort of increase going on then it should be working. :) Good luck!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My old lamp set up whould get up to 72.00-73. in the day time but would constantly drop at night back down into the low 60's.

I now have a lamp that holds up to a 150 watt with a 100 watt CHE...
however i have set the thermostat to 75 and the thermometer reads 72.4 and periodically turns off. It doesn't feel 75 so I'm not sure why it turns off.hmmm.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Maybe you should try turning the thermostat up. Try and see if there is a consistent difference between what the thermostat is set to and the temp of the cage when the heater turns off. That way you will know the margin of error. Also maybe your thermostat is broken.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No wonder, why it would shut off before 75. i had it on 74. lol. I put it on 75 and it got up to 75 both the thermostat and the thermometer so everything is working perfectly. I am so :) that i finally got the heat under control. One thing though, since i finally got the temperature up to 75 he doesn't go in his igloo any more....too hot. So i took it out and he sleeps under fleece strips. :). i am so happy that I don't have to worry any more. he seems very content and happy about his new house and temperature.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts