Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
My hedgehog is called Hoggle
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just joined and got my first hedgehog about a month ago and struggling with knowing what temperature to have my 4ft viv at (currently 25°c) and wondered what watt of che bulb would be best for her as don't want her too hot or cold.
Any help is appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
My lamp is 100 W. But do you have a cage with wires or vivarium? Since the more opening it has, the more heat escapes. Best is to get a thermostat (I have Thermo Control Pro II) that switches your lamp automatically on and off when the temperature needs adjustment.

·
Administrator
3,817 Posts
25 is on the high side. Drop it to 24 and see how your hedgehog behaves. I personally keep mine at around 23ish (73-75). Majority do fine at that temperature. I have had the occasional that needs it warmer (small, elderly or sick typically).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
25 is on the high side. Drop it to 24 and see how your hedgehog behaves. I personally keep mine at around 23ish (73-75). Majority do fine at that temperature. I have had the occasional that needs it warmer (small, elderly or sick typically).
What watt bulb for che is best for 4ft viv?

·
Administrator
3,817 Posts
I don't use CHEs for primary heating so am of no help there.

But, per the heating simplified thread "That depends on how large your cage is, and what your lamp's recommended wattage is. 60 is likely too low to heat a properly sized cage. 100 watts is about standard. You can use two lower wattage CHEs on opposite sides of the cage, if the cage is 3+ feet long. "

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't use CHEs for primary heating so am of no help there.

But, per the heating simplified thread "That depends on how large your cage is, and what your lamp's recommended wattage is. 60 is likely too low to heat a properly sized cage. 100 watts is about standard. You can use two lower wattage CHEs on opposite sides of the cage, if the cage is 3+ feet long. "
Ok thank you for your help, will go order a 100 watt bulb for her

1 - 9 of 9 Posts