Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be picking up my new hedgie in a week so I have the cage all set up and I bought a ceramic heat emmiter but it is so hot here right now I can't even bring myself to turn it on and test it lol. Instead I have been monitoring the temp around his cage very carefully and it has been staying around 76-80, this afternoon however it was at 71...so my question is should I be turning on the heat emmiter to keep the heat above 74 or can I use some kind of a heat pad set on low just to give the heat in his area a little boost during the summer and save the emmiter for the winter?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Do you have a thermostat for the emitter? If you have one, then you can turn the emitter on and the thermostat will control when the emitter should be on/off. That way, if the temp randomly drops to 71, the thermostat will turn the emitter on, and then turn it off again when the temp is back up to 74-76.

If you don't have one, then I'd suggest you get one.

Heating pads are only good for emergencies, because it doesn't heat the air around the cage. Hedgies need to be warm while they're out and about inside their cage. It'd be easy for them to catch a chill of the air is cold while they're active.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked for a thermostat at my local petsmart but they don't carry them :( And my sister in law who works there said that in her experience(with her reptiles) they are not reliable...But I've been reading the forums today and it seems like everyone else here would disagree.
I guess I'm gonna have to start calling around to other stores.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh and I don't know if it makes a difference but I should probably add that the lamp I have has adjustable heating, like a dimmer switch kinda thing. (the Deluxe Arizona Hot Lamp)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts