Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting my first hedgehog soon and have started setting up her cage. The breeder told me a plastic bin was fine as long as it was big enough. My problem is what is the best way for me to heat it without melting the cage?

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
You will need a plastic bin that is 8 square feet in size so you'll probably have to put more than one together to make it big enough. You can use Ceramic Heat Emitters but you will need one for each bin, connected to thermostats.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will need a plastic bin that is 8 square feet in size so you'll probably have to put more than one together to make it big enough. You can use Ceramic Heat Emitters but you will need one for each bin, connected to thermostats.
How do I attach them without melting the plastic??

·
Registered
324 Posts
We used 1x1 welded wire bent 1 inch over each side to attach two heat lamp holders. One for a CHE with thermostat and one for a light bulb with timer. The holders are zipp tied on and a hole cut in wire to change bulbs.Thermostat and thermometer sensors are suspended just out of hedgie reach.The whole set up is all attached to the wire and can be lifted off for feeding and cleaning.
Bins are connected with 4 in. pvc pipe and connectors on each end.The set up is upstairs where the temp is usually 78F so we only have a CHE in the center where her house and food is.The cat toys and tubes have been replaced with a dig box in her play room that she likes better. 20180805_201828.jpg

20180805_201813 (1).jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts