Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I'm thinking about building a C&C cage for Col. Mustard, and I have two questions (I've used the search tool but didn't really find the answers.) Currently we have a My Super Pet X-Large with a 150W CHE set up.

1. If I build a 2 level house, will my CHE set up be enough for heating the whole cage, or will I have to get a 2nd set up and put one in each level?

2. What is best for a roof? Coroplast or grid cage?

Thank you,

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
You most likely would need to have two lamps for the levels. However, you could probably switch to a 100 watt for the top level if it smaller or half the size of the bottom level.
:)
As for a roof, you can ziptie metal shelves onto the walls of the cage so you can just lift up the piece of shelf to get to the inside, instead of taking off the whole roof just to add water in the bowl for five seconds. Oh, and make sure the ramp is enclosed, or you can just use a 4-5 inch piece of spiraling dryer vent duct work. Here is a picture of the shelves I mean:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome! Thanks a lot for the answer. :)
I might just start with one level and then upgrade to a 2nd level if it works out for us. And yes, I knew about enclosing the ramp -- but thanks for mentioning it though. ;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm probably missing something, so I apologize, but if you have a CHE sitting on top of your cage/bin/whatever, you should have a wire top so the heat can pass through into the cage. If you use coroplast, a lot of the heat would be absorbed into the plastic, and worse, the heat will melt the plastic (think fire hazard).

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tomato said:
I'm probably missing something, so I apologize, but if you have a CHE sitting on top of your cage/bin/whatever, you should have a wire top so the heat can pass through into the cage. If you use coroplast, a lot of the heat would be absorbed into the plastic, and worse, the heat will melt the plastic (think fire hazard).
The coroplast would be for the bottom of the cage. The "roof" would be made out of metal shelves or metal grid. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
What i use for heating my cage is just a heating bag pad

I made it i just made something like a hedgie bag
then i put rice in it

I live in a tropical country so its warm
but i still put the heating pad so just in case

i only heat the pad for a few seconds cause its already warm here and i dont want him to get to hot

·
Registered
199 Posts
KimchiTheHedgehog said:

then i put rice in it

i only heat the pad for a few seconds cause its already warm here and i dont want him to get to hot
Where do you live? Unless you live in Baguio or in some mountainy area or if you keep your hedgehog in an air conditioned room, I wouldn't recommend a heating pad at all. Sometimes it can even get a bit too warm here. Also, if there's a sudden rainstorm (almost always happens during BER months), just keep all windows closed and temperature usually won't drop below 23C.

·
Registered
51 Posts
schmelderz said:
KimchiTheHedgehog said:

then i put rice in it

Where do you live? Unless you live in Baguio or in some mountainy area or if you keep your hedgehog in an air conditioned room, I wouldn't recommend a heating pad at all. Sometimes it can even get a bit too warm here. Also, if there's a sudden rainstorm (almost always happens during BER months), just keep all windows closed and temperature usually won't drop below 23C.
i only put it for 10 mins when it gets breezy
Thanks for your advice!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I live in NY, and it gets pretty cold during the winter. Can i just heat my hedgehog cage with a heating blanket?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Larry, this thread and the others you posted on are several years old. Please start a new thread when you have a question.

No, you cannot use a heating blanket to heat your hedgehogs cage. There is a sticky on the forum all about heating. Please go read it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts