Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I will (well my family) be a new hedgie owner soon and I am starting to get things gathered up. I will be housing her in a big Sterilite bin I had a baby tortoise housed in that didn't make it. We have several other critters, including reptiles, rats, and tarantulas. I've decided the best thing to do is get a space heater for the room she will be in, as my rats and tarantulas could also use the bump in temp. The reptiles all have separate heat. Lately my chameleon's thermometer has been reading about 70 for the "outside" temp, which is just the temp outside his cage.

Anyways, I thought I had something picked out, but then I realized that it just has two settings and no thermostat. There is one with a thermostat that's only $10 more, and then a "bathroom" heater that has a thermostat and you can set a time for it to come on, for $5 more.

Here's my dilemma.. I'm afraid one without a thermostat might make the room too warm, but, in my experience with our radiator heater we use in our home, once it reaches the temp the thermostat is set to, it turns off and DOES NOT come back on when it goes below that temp. So, I'm afraid if I get one with a thermostat that it will turn off when we are sleeping or not home and allow the room to get too cold. It's not a very big room, either.

Anyways, here are pictures of the ones I was looking at:

(Ps- I've read that free PDF book cover to cover and I know they cover heat but not this specific issue!)

·
Registered
7 Posts
the 39.99 one is the exact same space heater I use to heat my entire room. Its nice cause you can set the temp, heater will heat the room up to it, shut off, and turn back on when the temp drops again.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh nice, good to know! That will be the one I get, then!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Keep in mind that forced-fan heaters are going to dry the room out quite a bit. I had one for a couple years and hated it. After it started dying, I started looking at other heaters and Nancy suggested an oil-filled heater. I found one online for around $100, ordered it, and I still have it and love it. Expensive, but worth it! Mine didn't have a thermostat (just different settings), unfortunately, but I know there's others that do, since Nancy has one. But yeah, if dry air is going to be an issue (if I remember correctly, don't chameleons need a high humidity?), you might want to see if you can find an oil-filled one with good reviews.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We already have an oil filled one I can switch out if it becomes a problem- it just doesn't turn back on once it reaches it's temp. I use a humidifier for the chameleon so I doubt it will be a problem.

Reactions: Lilysmommy

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And, if anything, we may move him to another room with cooler temps anyway. This particular kind likes it cool at night

1 - 7 of 7 Posts