Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I introduced myself in the intro thread, but I'm Jenna, the mommy of Velcro, a 3 month old little girl.

So, it's been super hot here lately and her cage is in the upper 80s. I have two fans running in my room (no draft on her though) and two windows open, but her cage is still really warm. I take her out for a total of 2-3 hours each day, and she is still really active. She runs around and burrows in the blankets/pillows on my bed and falls asleep.

Even when her cage is as hot as it is, she still spends her days inside her little fleece snuggle sack. Does that mean the heat isn't bothering her? I haven't seen her splatting and I've been sure to keep her water dish fresh and cool.

I JUST put a frozen water bottle in her cage to see if she would use it, but she is still in her fleece sack. She seems perfectly fine and she isn't acting any differently. She is kinda huffy, but she is just finishing quilling, so she's still grumpy from that I believe. She still likes being handled and she is still eating and drinking and using her wheel.

I guess I'm just not sure what to do since I know her cage temperature is higher than recommended...

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
They tend to do better with too hot than too cold. If she's acting normal, I wouldn't be too terribly worried, but do keep an eye on the situation. You can put a ceramic tile in the cage for her to lay on if she gets too warm. And of course continue to try to regulate the temperature as best you can.

It's frustrating when the weather isn't cooperating. Just do your best to keep it from getting any warmer, and make sure she stays hydrated. If her behavior changes at all while the temps continue to be too warm take it seriously and at the very least get in touch with your vet about it. Taking her in would be better of course. For now though, just monitor the situation.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Hmmmm, silly question but are the fans helping at all? How about the frozen water bottle?
Here we aren't at the hottest part of the year yet so this may be a common issue very soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The fans make the room cooler than it would be if they were off.

I'm not sure if it had cooled down or if the water bottles worked, but her cage was cooler when I checked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts