Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

My hedgie will be picked up on Thursday from a rescue center. I'm purchasing my cage tomorrow night from a store further from home as the closeby ones didn't have the XL ones. I thought I could find most of my accessories at PETCO, but now I'm afraid I cannot. I thought I could find liners and an appropriate wheel, but did not have luck. Also, I saw a heating pad online at PETCO, but not in the store. Is a pad OK? I read a ceramic source is better - I have a reptile red light - is that OK? Do I need a thermometer? The house is kept around 70 at night, 74 in the day.

I have to show the proper cage before getting the hedgie. I've done the in-home visit already for other animals we've taken in from the center, so the adoption agent just said to bring the cage. I'm concerned I cannot find the liners and am afraid to use Carefresh, which I have at the house for our guinea pig and hamster.

Can you use a baby's receiving blanket as a liner? Please address the heating pad vs. light, too.

Thanks,
Dana

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
For liners, most people use fleece or corduroy. I just bought a fleece blanket and cut the edges off (embroidery isn't safe for hedgie feet and nails) and cut pieces out of it to fit the cage. That's the simplest way to do them. If you're decent at sewing (can cut things to the same size, and sew in a straight line!), you can make your own. Some others get two pieces of corduroy and put a piece of fleece in between, then sew it all together. They're a bit cushier. It's good to use light colors, as it helps you see any odd-colored bowel movements or urine, including any traces of blood.
If your cage has a plastic bottom, it's probably not good to use a heating pad, I've heard people say it can warp the plastic. I'm not sure if the reptile red light will work or not, but you do need a thermostat if you use something like that. Make sure the thermostat measures in actual degrees, not just low, medium, or high.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
The problem with the reptile red light is that there is still a light. Most hedgies refuse to come out and eat/wheel at night if there's any bit of light on(I had to cover my hedgie's cage at night because the light coming in from the window from all the street lights was enough to keep him less active). Which is why the ceramic emitter is better, as it does not produce a light source. Since your house is kept at 70 during the night, you will definately need another heat source, as that is too cold, and your new arrival will not be as active as they should be, or might even start a hibernation attempt.

To give you an idea of what to get and what to look for, I found this on a previous thread from awhile back:

hedgie love said:
I have a heat system like used for reptiles to heat my hedgehog's cadge. You can get heating systems that just heat the cadge for a really great price at http://www.reptilesupply.com/

If you want to go with a heating system like I have that you can set on top of a wire cadge or clamp to the side of an aquarium you will need something similar to each of the following
Thermostat
This is the one I have, it's not the best, but it is functional. http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=75
Lamp Clamp
http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.ph ... cts_id=402
Ceramic Infared Heat Emitter Bulb
http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.ph ... cts_id=742
Digital Thermometer
http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.ph ... cts_id=392

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, Immortalia, as I was confused about these emitters that act on the animal's muscles and confused them w/ my reptile light (which, even for the "night" bulb, emits a bit of light.) I will check out PETCO tomorrow night for these items and a thermometer. I have one for my leopard gecko and another for my tree frog, so one more will be fine.

Kelsey, I'm not sure if the base of the cage is plastic or metal, but thanks for reminding me to check before buying a pad. I will pick it up tomorrow night.

I don't know if I can find fleece here in S. FL! Wish me luck. I doubt I can find a blanket...

Dana

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
You should try fabric stores, or wal-marts and similar stores. Flannels and denim work as well, if you can't find fleece. Basically, if you can find fabric that holds up with hedgie digging and scratching without producing loops for their nails to get hooked on, then it'd be fine. Same goes for the baby receiving blankets.

Also, definately cut up strips of fabric and stuff a hiding spot full of them, so she can dig around as well.

Oh ya, to add to my previous post. Ceramic lamps heat the actual air around the cage. Pads only heat the immediate surrounding area. The problem with pads is that they don't heat the entire cage, and the air around could still be cool. Once the hedgie moves from where the pad is, there is no more heat. The lamps keep the entire cage at a steady temperature.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts