Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Heating pads aren't an ideal heat source and that one is no good at all as it shuts off after two hours.

Heating pads only heat the area directly above the pad and using a heating pad can make the hedgehog more temperature sensitive than something that heats the air. After hedgie has been laying on a warm heating pad, leaving it to eat or wheel and the air feels that much colder because of having laid on the warmth.

A CHE with a thermostat, or a space heater is a better option.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
If you have the money, go for an oil-filled radiator-style heater. They're more expensive, but they'll last longer because there's fewer moving parts, and they won't dry the air out as much. I had a forced-fan heater first and I hated it. It dried the air out in my room so much that even using a humidifier didn't help much. It drove Lily and me both nuts. It also started having issues with the fan eventually & I'd have to shake it a bit to get the fan to click on. When I gave up on it, I got an oil-filled heater on Nancy's recommendation, and I liked it SO much better. Well worth the money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use a lower-watt ceramic heater and during the colder months, also a heating pad on the lowest setting. We also have a thermometer on top of her house, so we can monitor the temperature and know when either of these elements should be switched on or off. To avoid overheating, we don't keep the ceramic element right over her house. It's held up by a metal plate fitted to sit over the center top of the large terrarium, with ventilated covers over the rest to keep the warmth in. After sundown, she often comes out and lounges, sometimes right under the heat lamp. We aim to keep her sleeping area between 75 and 80 degrees--she seems most comfortable at that range.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts