Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2x3 C&C cage and I'm heating it with a 150 watt heat emitter and it just doesn't seem to be keeping up. The thermostat is ALWAYS on, even when I have it on the highest setting.

Would at 250 watt overheat my hedgie? I know its going to be very cold this week and I'm worried about it getting too cold for my hedgie.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Please help!

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
You are further ahead to use two emitters than a larger one. Do you have the sides closed in? Closing in 2 or 3 sides might help. Heavy clear vinyl from the fabric store will hold the heat in but still allow light. I use either binder clips or cloths pins to hold it on.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Would at 250 watt overheat my hedgie?
You won't overheat your hedgie with a 250W CHE assuming it's connected to a thermostat, but as already stated you'd be better off adding a second lamp and CHE for more even heating. With two lamps you can better prevent any cooler spots within the habitat, rather than having all of the warmth under one point.

Also, consider where you have your temperature sensor located. If it's not under your CHE you could be reading a cooler temperature where the heat from the CHE just can't reach.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts