Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi hedgie lovers, in these days the hot season is starting in Italy and, sadly, it‘s hotter than ever. Maka has been doing great even if in her cage the temperature reaches 28 C, I put a tablet of ice everyday but she never goes there even when it’s not so cold anymore, she doesn’t even want to sleep on the glass floor of her terrarium, she just wants her sleeping bag. So the problem is that she has been losing weight, and it seems to be a lot, she passed from 363 of ten days ago to 341 today. She is extremely healthy, drinks a lot, eats pretty much the same as before, maybe something less but not so evident, she runs so so much every night, and even hunt her live crickets as usual. I noticed she has been scratching a little more last week, now it doesn‘t seem like that anymore. Her skin is perfect, her nose is humid, I don’t really know what the problem could be. Just too much heat? How can I cool her down otherwise?
Thank you so much!

·
Registered
Holly is a female African Pygmy Hedgehog. She weighs about 463g and was born May 28, 2019.
573 Posts
Maybe she is sweating more than usual? First, I would suggest making it impossible for her to snuggle down in hot blankets, maybe replace them with thin fabric or something so that she can still feel covered but be cooler? If everything else is normal, then maybe a vet visit is called for. If there is not a vet near you that you can get to, I would suggest trying to keep her cool when you can and making sure she is drinking lots of water. My room can also get to 28 C (around 82 F) and I just try to let it cool down at night. I don't weigh my hedgehog, but she seems to be doing well as well. :) Good luck!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe she is sweating more than usual? First, I would suggest making it impossible for her to snuggle down in hot blankets, maybe replace them with thin fabric or something so that she can still feel covered but be cooler? If everything else is normal, then maybe a vet visit is called for. If there is not a vet near you that you can get to, I would suggest trying to keep her cool when you can and making sure she is drinking lots of water. My room can also get to 28 C (around 82 F) and I just try to let it cool down at night. I don't weigh my hedgehog, but she seems to be doing well as well. :) Good luck!!
Thank you very much, I will update you as soon as possible :)

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,199 Posts
I'm in the UK and holly's viv went up to 30 the like 4 days ago (typically its cooled right down and been raining the last 4 days) anyway I made water proof pouches to hang Ice packs from the top of the viv the pouches will stop any water dripping off I do one on each side of the viv, it really cools the viv down without making it too cold.

Use a top or find / make a cotton pouch so its thinner and cooler for them.
Or I don't use pouches I use a small hide thats just a top no bottom with loose bedding so that Holly can easily adjust how hot or cold it gets inside her hide.

Eating and drinking and still being active is great, but when you see them losing weight that they shouldn't you can't really rule out an internal issue. 99% of the time by the time they eat less, drink less, be less active, its gotten bad, so I think a vet trip is for sure needed just to check inside that you can't see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts