Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Prudence came to me at a very chunky 650g, and in our four months together she has lost over 200g.

She now weighs 445g and is way more active than before! What I am wondering is when to stop "dieting" her and add a higher fat food to her diet. The breeder originally told me that her ideal weight was around 450g, but she still seems a bit big to me. She also said that Prue had always been "big boned and substantial." Haha, big boned she definitely is...

What I'm looking for is an opinion as to whether or not she looks like her ideal weight has been reached. I'll attach a couple of pictures and hopefully I can get a few opinions on the matter. Obviously every hedgehog is different, but I figure that a few of the more experienced owners out there have probably seem enough hedgehogs to identify which body type is ideal.

Sorry in advance for the weak pictures, she is a squirmy little girl (or big girl, more accurately...) The last picture is just there as a bonus.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
What are you currently feeding her? Specifically, what foods?
How active is she? Is she a wheel a holic?
In one picture she looks close to being ideal, but then the second picture she has no back feet. Pictures can be tricky. Especially true when we have wigglers.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right now she is on Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul Light, Wellness Healthy weight, and Royal Canin Indoor beauty.
The fat percentages are 8%, 9%, 13.5% if that helps.

She is not a wheel a holic, but wheels a varying amount every night. Sometimes I wake up and it's caked in poop, other times it's practically perfectly clean. She goes for a hour long romp in her playpen every day, so I figure that's when most of her energy is used.

Also, Prue is 3 years old and has had 2 litters of hoglets. Not sure if that makes a difference, but figured I should include it anyways.

The second picture was taken when she was squashing down to get into her snuggle sack, so it looks a little warped.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts