Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a bit ago about my hedgehogs one with eyes that look un-naturally buggy, and another who was continually loosing weight. Well we took them to the vet yesturday. Nutmeg who had the buggy eyes checked out alright! No tumors, she said her eyes are a bit ad-normal but nothing that is harming her. She was guessing it was just a genetic thing. And penny I was correct she needed a high fat diet so she is on kitten food and for the last past few days she has little by little gained the weight she needed back on her.

But I've noticed one thing about Nutmeg's eyes that I forgot to ask the vet, Her eyes are changing. When I first got her she had a bit of tint red to her eyes, and they were quite buggy. But now they are more black and I swear a bit smaller than when she came. Can diet affect a hedgehogs eye size? Or could it be that she is still growing and filling in to her body?

·
Registered
594 Posts
hmmm :shock: the eye thing might be a lighting thing, or they may have darkened. I know other mammalian babies, including humans, go through I color changes.
Perhaps she was retaining water before?

I'm glad penny is finally gaining weight!

Your girls are lucky to have you :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I've just noticed so many changes since I took them. I deep cleaned both their cages today and to my surprise little nutmeg is running on her wheel! She has not touched it since I got her which was about 3 weeks ago. And little penny is running around stuffing her face with her new mix and loving it. I'm not sure what my vet did to them but they have never been this active, I love it! Lol. Best feeling in the world when you know when you have two happy healthy hedgies :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts