Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this may be a stupid question question & I apologise if it is, but how easy is to spot things like tumors, lumps, respiratory problems etc? :oops:

I get Henry out every evening and after checking nails, eyes nose etc I try to check for lumps or anything else abnormal but was wondering if they are easy to spot or should i know what im looking for? To be honest i have trouble because he's a proper little squirmer, one minute i think i might see something, then he moves and it can look normal again!

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Often tumours can go from nothing noticeable, to huge overnight, especially oral tumours. We've had mammary tumours here that grew very slowly and others that grew like crazy.

A URI can be difficult to notice in the early stages because a random sneeze may not be noticed through their normal little snuffles and sounds. Increasing sneezing and nose licking is usually a good indication of respiratory but sometimes they don't sneeze very much. IMO, a runny nose even if it's clear should be checked out by a vet especially if the hedgehog is in a new home or has been through a stressful event.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts