Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
This is my first post here and I hope that it is not my last. First off this is a great forum for people looking for advice for hedgehogs I've been observer since I got my little son Quillbur a few years ago. He is 3 years old and I noticed on Thursday that he vomited on Wednesday July 7th. I wasn't sure if it was a fluke or not so on Friday morning I checked his bed and looked back at the footage (we have two cameras one in his cage and one in his bed) and he vomited again. I decided to take him to the vet but they were closed until Monday the 12th. Throughout the weekend he continued to vomit. He acted otherwise very normally he ran on his wheel some he seemed generally active no lethargy or any other indicators that he wasn't feeling well. He was eating and drinking normally as well. I noticed on Friday that he didn't have very much poop in his cage. When we took him in on Monday they did various tests including an ultrasound. They weren't exactly sure what might be going on but they suggested that it could be ulcers or cancer or something else. They gave him several medications that we have been giving him since monday. I thought that he had stopped throwing up after the appointment as I was not able to see any wretching on the cameras and didn't see signs of vomit in the cage like we had in the past. Looking back I think that perhaps he was vomiting those days but was eating it and left very little evidence. Thursday the 15th at night I noticed he vomited in his cage. He also vomited again tonight.

I realize another vet visit might be in order but they are closed until monday. In the meantime I am calling on the wealth of experience here to see if anyone has noticed anything similar. He still is not having regular bowel movements they are few and far between and they are black and tar like. Tonight he had one that was a little bit more brownish but still minimal. Tonight I was also able to catch him in the act of vomiting and took a look and it was pale greenish which as I read is bile. Immediately after vomiting I went to clean it up and he ran to his food bowl and started eating. He has since eaten several times tonight since then. That is what I find so odd about this is that he is drinking and eating so regularly and otherwise acting normal beyond that.

The vomiting concerns me, the limited bowel movements concern me, and also he is having weight loss. I'm only holding out hope that he is still eating and drinking as much as he is. I'm also hopeful that perhaps the medications will do something for him.

Has anyone experienced anything like this exactly or close to this. If it's cancer then I guess it's cancer but I read inconsistent things with this case and the cases I've read about hedgehogs with cancer. There is no blood in his urine and I know that black poop can indicate blood but it has been very minimal poop so it's hard to tell if it's maybe dried blood or if it's old or what.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Registered
I'm so sorry your wee one is sickly. I've never heard of a hedgie vomiting before. I don't have any advice for you, I just hope that your vet is able to figure out what's going on. Have you changed foods or anything else recently?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm so sorry your wee one is sickly. I've never heard of a hedgie vomiting before. I don't have any advice for you, I just hope that your vet is able to figure out what's going on. Have you changed foods or anything else recently?
No food changes at all. Vet put him on three meds which I've given for seven days now. Still vomiting at least twice a day. She said to stop the meds for now but I'm not sure what that means for him as we have him the meds because he was vomiting. He is still eating and drinking okay. His poops are more normal in size but still dark, greenish and tar-like.

Is there a vet in the house? Needing a second opinion here 馃槩馃

Registered
Hi. I am so sorry u and ur hedgie are going through this. I am a relatively new hedgehog parent so may not have the most experience but the other day my hedgehog vomited a green substance as well and she was not eating I read that it is her unused stomach acid because she is not eating so I just kinda watched her do her thing throughout the night and many times she would go to drink water and wouldn't be able to get any out. I have since switched her water bottle and she has been normal with no vomiting. But I also read hedgies won't eat if they are thirsty so if ur hedgehog is eating this is probably not the case. Sorry if this is not helpful I just wanted to put it out there in case it is. U both have my prayers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts