Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my little Hank for about 6 months now. He's about a year old. He refuses to stay in his home and use his wheel, he hurts himself trying to get out! So we keep the bedroom very clean, so he can run all over the floor. Our vet told us to keep an eye on his feet just in case he gets string or hair wrapped around them. And he taught a safe way to remove them if he does get wound up.
We check his feet every morning. A few days ago he had a particularly tightly wrapped string of hairs, his foot was swollen and he'd been chewing on it trying to get it free. But we got all of it off. We looked at it the next day and it was still swollen and scabby so we gave him a warm bath, got all the bad skin off and such.
Today it's still a little scabby and swollen but it's better. We're short on money right now but I'll take him to the vet if needed. I just want to know if a trip in will be worth it? it sounds terrible but I can't afford to waste over a hundred dollars just for the vet to tell me to keep an eye on it and come back if it doesn't get better.
Do you think this will heal normally or should I go ahead and take him in?? 馃挃

Registered
Could you show us a picture of it? Without seeing it, it would be hard to say. In general, if you're not sure, it's better to go and have it be nothing than to not go and have it be something that ends up getting worse and harder to treat.

And since we're taking pictures anyway, could we see a picture of Hank's home? It's much much safer for him to stay in his cage when you aren't actively watching him. If we can see it we can help you figure out what you'll need to keep him in there and help him be happy while he's in there.

Registered
Maybe try some regular strength neosporin? I don't think that will hurt-just to prevent an infection. If it's still bad tomorrow I would try to get in before the weekend.

Administrator
For his own safety you need to get an escape proof cage for him. Letting him run around in the bathroom while you can supervise him is fine but so much can happen quickly when you aren't there that its best if he spends the time you aren't there with him in a cage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts