Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was browsing online for some creative (but still hedgehog safe!) toys for little Dr. Freeman and I remembered that Steam sells plush headcrabs. If you've ever played Half Life you would understand (Gordon Freeman - which is what I named my hedgehog - is the main character; more on headcrabs here), but basically I would really like to get one of these:

A brief description can be found here. It's about 6" long.

Would it be safe? I'm not too sure on the stuffed animal rules for hedgies. I know there can't be any exposed threads, but other than that..

Haha I wonder if he would be too scared of it to even go near it. Then again, it would just smell like a plushie, not like an alien zombifier. :lol:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha yeah it is! In the video game, they're aliens that jump on peoples heads and turn them into zombies.

It's cute though, a scientist "de-beaks" one of them, names it Lamar, and keeps him as a pet. I thought it would be cute for my hedgie to have his own pet headcrab :lol:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I only played CS, so I do not know of the game creature.
But I am a 26 year year old Male, I have found no stuffed animals I want to be seen in my hedgehog cage.(scary and 'Manley') So she just has fleece balls to push around.
But this! Is something that looks COOL! Mean!

As far as I know, 'any' stuffed toy with no threads is suitable, that includes not just the seems, but the soft exterior too, this looks like it should be fine.
I want! I am buying one....

·
Registered
912 Posts
Looks like there's a pocket of some sort -- the black thing in the center?? A potential problem with it is if hedgie decides to climb in, I'm wondering if he'd be able to get back out... quills stuck pointed the wrong way. Or, even if he could get back out on his own, what if you need him to come out and he doesn't want to... is the opening large enough for you to reach in there and get him out without injury?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the plush is about 6" long, and so the pocket is probably 3". Gordon comes from a line of huge hogs, so theres a chance he may not fit in there... but I'm never gonna underestimate the power of a hedgehog to squeeze into someplace small :lol:

If he did manage to get stuck, I have tiny hands and have managed to extract a hedgehog who snuck into my jacket pocket before.

The first time he uses it, I will supervise. If it seems like he likes to get stuck inside the hole, I'll take it away. I could also try stuffing the hole with fleece so he can't get in, or possibly patching it.

If it's safe otherwise, I think I might get it. Any more feedback? :)

For anyone who's wondering- the "pocket" is the headcrabs mouth :geek:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok well I just bought it. If it turns out that it's a bad choice for Gordon, I guess the headcrab will just hang out with me :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
I ordered one too!
I am wondering a safe way to close the mouth,
stuffed fleece can be pulled out, or worse, squeezed in with the hedgehog
sewing shut, must be very small tight sewing, or else threads may get caught
any one else have an idea?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I meant was to stuff it with fleece and then cover it with something - so that it would be like a solid rather than a hole covered by something :)

I was thinking maybe trying an iron-on patch (the big pieces of cloth that you cut and then iron on)... That way there's no threads, but I'm wondering if the materials would be ok? I think there's an adhesive that melts when ironed, which causes it to fuse to the fabric... but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: the headcrab came in the mail a few days ago. The "pocket" is extremely small, I can barely fit my finger in it. It's in the cage right now, standing up on all fours, and Gordon likes to race around and through the legs haha. Pics hopefully tonight.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hahaha that is win on all levels!!! I might get one for Mika now. She plays with my stuffed hedgehog sometimes, it's really cute! Cept he stands up, so she tries to go under him and it looks like she headbutts him in the privates :rofl:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts