Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i got him now about 2 weeks ago i asked his former owner how often he bathed him, he shruggd, like it was a foreighn concept. well today i bought johnsons tear free sensitive skin baby shampoo and i think its time.. i got tyhe heater on full blast in the bathroom a nice sized vanity that ill poor warm watter with bubbles in, i just dont know when, at 8pm ii wake him up and he hisses and curls, yesterday he bit the mole on y neck (maybe he thought it was a worm..ha ha) should i do it when he just hets up? during the day so he can crawl into his condo its so cute i gotta find a way to post a pic of it. or durring the night im up till 2ish.. some advice please..

his bed.. he adores it, its fluffy on the inside and has cut up strips of material to get comfy in

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
I would bathe him once he's been awake for a little bit, but early enough so you can cuddle with him till he's completely dry. They get chilled easily. Tearless baby shampoo is not a good choice as its actually very drying and harsh on their skin. Its better to use something like Aveeno baby wash. Its more of a body wash than a shampoo and its also has oatmeal in it to keep the skin from drying out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what i meant its not aveeno its in a blu nottle it says compare it to johnsons body wash and its supposed to have oils in it, which i thought would be a good thing.

·
Registered
244 Posts
if i were u, since he has never been bathed before, i would try to wake him up later just becuz grumpiness of waking up early+ the stress of a first bath= CONFUSED SCARED HEDGIE....but maybe he will like the water or become quite curious about and he will be fine. i am just talkin' 'bout my own experience.
1 thing that i wanted to mention is that even baby shampoo can be quite drying to your hedgies sensitive skin. its better to use aveeno baby body wash or aveeno mosturizing wash.
if u search on here (hedgehog central) u will find every thing u need to now on how to give ur hedgie a bath.

goodluck :)
opps i realized that i repeated what ever1 else said sry

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
If you readlly want to bathe him tonight you can always just use plain water, it won't irritate his skin and you can see how he's going to react to baths. I do that sometimes with rescues when I don't know how they're going to react since I don't have to worry about getting any soap in their eyes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Baby bodywash.

UPDATE: it was the closest we have ever gotten, the water couldnt have been more than 2-3 inches deep but i held him under his belly and let him soak and with my other cupped hand poured the water on him gently. it was quick 2-3 min tops, didnt want to traumatize him, i let the water drain and then rinsed him off well with warm water i put him in his new extra puffy cube just for a few seconds so he could dry off, then i took him to my tv room sat on the recliner with my thick pink terry cloth robe over my thick pink velour sweater and i took him out of the cube he didnt hiss or curl up (a first) and i unzipped my sweater put him right above my bra on my chest zipped up the sweater almost up, covered it with my pink robe and covered us up with my blanket. he let me play with his toes, rub his belly, no hissing.. like he just began to trust me... I TRUELY FEEL LIKE A NEW MOM!!!! we slept like that till about 3 and then he wantd to scavange i let him roam around for 15-20 minutes then put him in his cage kissed him goodnight and went to bed myself. :mrgreen:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts