Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I have had my hedgehog (Hemi) for about a 2 monthes. She was 9wks when I got her and the guy who I bought her from hand raised her. She has never quiet warmed up to me. I have tried putting my shirts, pillow cases, etc. in her cage to get use to my smell. I bring her outside so she can explore cause she absolutely loves it. But she just doesn't seem to want to give me a chance. Everytime I go to pick her up she hufs and puffs and grumbles and half the time when she uncurls she tries to bite me. She's never borken the skin but it still makes me jump. I also try to spend time with her when I am just watching tv of am on the computer but she just grumbles most of the time. I don't wanna stress her out but I don't wanna neglect her to the point where she doesn't get to know me either. Does anyone have any advice for me? How can I better bond with her?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Don't give up yet! It sounds like you are doing a good job already. I've had my boy for 8 months now and he STILL huffs and puffs when I take him out. He STILL huffs and puffs when I move around and he's on my lap or beside me. Just don't let it faze you. My boy's a sleeper, so when I have him out, he'll just sleep, but if I dare move or try to bug him, he would not hesitate to tell me that I am his "bed" and that I shouldn't move :roll: And if my finger is near his head and he doesn't like me waking him up, he will not hesitate to try and bite me(but I'm just too quick for him :lol: ) And guess what? I still bug him, and tell him how absolutely cute he is when he makes grumpy faces at me :lol: I don't believe it stresses him out, just because he knows it's me, and this is just his way of telling me how unpleased he is that his bed moved. Thing is, I also know that he knows that staying near me is "safe" because when we go outside, to the vets, or anywhere for that matter, he always runs to hide near me, which is how I know that he's not stressed, or even scared...Just annoyed at being woken up :roll:

Have you noticed a particular time when she seems to be a bit more nippy? Just that for the most part, they have certain things that trigger that action(like me waking my boy up, he'll feel the need to snap at me). Perhaps she's happier exploring? Since you say she likes going outside to roam. Maybe a nice large playpen where you can sit with her, yet gives her the freedom of roaming and exploring might be good.

But honestly, sounds like you are doing a good job. Just know that the initial huffing and puffing is usually a quirk that hedgies have, don't be fazed by it and just keep doing what you have been doing. Also just keep in mind that some may never stop the huffing and puffing, or even like a whole lot of human interaction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying so fast! I am glad to hear that I am at least doing something right! I have noticed that she doesn't really have a specific time when she's nippy. She is pretty unpredictable, considering she usually doesn't even lick first before biting.
I also have another question...
I believe Hemi is quilling right now and she has VERY dry skin. I have been told I can give her baths that have veggie oil or olive oil or vitamin E oil. I have used olive oil. I was also told to put a little on her food. Is there anything else I can do to alleviate her itchiness? How often can I give her a bath with the oil? I just dont want her to be super uncomfortable. And I have noticed that she is more crabby during this time.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
If you do a search(located upper right corner) for "aveeno oatmeal" you'll come up with a lot of hits about bathing.

But in a nutshell, most here use some type of oatmeal wash, the brand Aveeno is a popular choice. Since she is quilling, you can give her a bath weekly, to help with her skin. Once she's done quilling, you won't have to bath her as often. I haven't given my boy an actual bath in a few months now. All he gets are foot baths every other week, to clean the poop off his feet and to trim his nails, and during that time, he'll also get a flax oil rinse.

Personally, I use flax seed oil capsules. After the oatmeal bath(or his plain foot bath), I'll pop open one capsule and empty it in a small cup, add some water, and pour that over my boy's back.

Flax oil can also be fed. 1 capsule every 3-4 days to start, especially during quilling time. Then after that, usually about 1 capsule/week should suffice. Unless it's a dryer season, and you notice their skin looking dry, then you can go back to 3-4 days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts