Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering, i used to have a wheel that had a removable track that you could replace with a nail trimmer, and i was thinking.. Has anyone considered making a wheel that has a removable track so that in the morning, you can just remove and replace the track so that you can soak it (or however you clean it) when you have time.. This way its super easy, you arent dealing with a huge wheel to clean every morning, and you can have multiple backups..

I was just thinking abotu this, because I had been working on bucket wheels for some time, and this would be really cool for hedgie owners.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have not seen the nail trimming track, but my understanding is that it is sand paper. That would be too rough for a hedgehogs feet, IMO.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Hedgies walk on their feet; not their nails. Provided their nails are well manicured, they shouldn't be reaching the ground. What you'll get by putting a rough surface in a hedgie wheel is a hedgie with bloody feet and long nails :(

The idea about a smooth liner that's easily to clean sounds neat :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you guys misinturpreted my idea.. I was just using the removable trimming tracks as an IDEA - i was thinking of making a removable PLASTIC track in the same fashion as the trimmer track (which was sandpaper) But this way, it would be safe for their feet..

I have made a few bucket wheels, and i have made ones with the removable tracks, i figure if i make the track out of fleece covered plastic, or just regular ridged plastic, it would be SUPER easy to clean.

What do you think?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what you mean either... *scratches head*

Do you mean there'd be a surface on the wheel that would supposedly wear down a hedgie's nails? I agree with smhufflepuff that an uneven surface would probably be uncomfortable on the feet, since they shouldn't have to run on their nails in the first place... but maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No no.. ok.. Just imagine a 3 part wheel.. there would be the back plate that would have a channel in it.. then an outter ring that would also have a channel in it. THEN you would have a plastic track that is kind of a flexible material that you wrap around the inside of the back panel's channel which will give you the running surface.. Then you just pop on the outter ring and you're DONE!

Thats it. I can probably draw a quick picture if you want.

have you ever seen a WODENT WHEEL? kinda like that

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Any wheel that you have to dismantle like the wodent wheel is going to be more work to take apart and clean than a bucket wheel is to clean. I clean anywhere from 25 - 35 bucket wheels and don't find them a huge deal. I soak them in the tub or a bin and after about 15 minutes they wipe clean. Some all I have to do is a light spritz of water and wipe clean. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, i was just thinking as a quick fix.. I get up for work about 15 minutes before i have to leave.. i am NOT a morning person.. so i was thinking that if you can just pop out the track and put a new one in and worry about cleaning the track when you got home, this way the wheel is clean for the hedgie, but you dont have to sit home cleaning before work.

I remember the ONE thing about owning the hedgie was that darn wheel.. it was SOO gross! I was just thinking back to that and thinking a removable track would be a good quick temp. fix till you got home..

then you can do a full wheel clean every so often

·
Registered
912 Posts
I think I'm getting what you mean... Kinda like a regular wheel with a liner/poop-shield that you could pull out and toss in a tub, leaving a mostly clean wheel behind? Like if you lined a bucket wheel with one of those plastic placemats that's cut to the width of the running surface?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Seems like the trick to that would be (1) how to deal with the seams where the two ends meet up to form the circle and (2) how to get it to stick to the wheel. So far, I'm thinking taping along the seams and then keep going with the tape right onto the wheel itself. Though what tape would be strong enough to hold it without getting hedgie toes caught up and also be relatively easily removed in the morning? hmmm....

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you are slow in the morning and most hedgies dont run in the day time, why dont you clean it like the rest of us do... just at night instead of the morning, before you hedgie starts running again.

If you make track thing.. which Im still not understanding but you dont have to further explain just for me, You are still going to be cleaning SOMETHING and it will take time. Then you are adding time to clean up to take it apart.

·
Administrator
3,585 Posts
You mean to tell me there are people who are awake enough in the morning that they actually clean their hedgehog's wheels???? It cannot be true! Ok so I'm not a morning person. I wake up enough to weigh and do a quick health check on my hedgehogs in the morning that's it. Wheels get cleaned at cage cleaning/feeding time. I clean wheels with vinegar & water. I spray with water, then spray with the vinegar solution, let sit for a minute, wipe clean. Done. Not much work at all.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Yep, we're out here... morning wheel cleaners. Why let it sit around stinky all day? Same with Satin's feet... if she has poop-mittens and poop-boots when I check on her in the morning, I clean her up too. Can't imagine my little one sleeping all day coated in poop & pee... yuck!

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I find first thing in the morning is the easiest time to clean wheels. Usually the poop is still soft and a quick spritz of vinegar water and a wipe with paper towel is all that's needed. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
smhufflepuff said:
Yep, we're out here... morning wheel cleaners. Why let it sit around stinky all day? Same with Satin's feet... if she has poop-mittens and poop-boots when I check on her in the morning, I clean her up too. Can't imagine my little one sleeping all day coated in poop & pee... yuck!
Dry poop doesnt stink...

Nancy is right, morning poop is easier to clean.

Why not when you wake up fill a basin with water and let it sit while you are getting ready for whatever you are getting ready for and then wipe it down before you leave? Then you arent standing over the wheel slaving away and wasting time..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dry poo does stink.. Ask my kitty litter box.. its dry, and solid, and still smells.. and yea, why not get it out and cleaned so its not sitting around all day..

it was just something I thought about because it was the one and only thing i remember being kinda a hassle about owning a hedgie.. The cage cleaning overall is pretty easy..

As far as attachment, the wheel would have its own built in flat running track, and then you could have as many add in tracks as you want. Those tracks would be a very thin plastic that is bendable and it would just pop into the channels that will be on the front and the back panel of the wheel.
Take a look at these.. you can see a three part wheel that i am talking about
http://www.transoniq.com/

i wouldn want a closed front like those have - i dont THINK i would anyways..

I just think that to pull out the track in the morning and toss just the track in a cleaner would be a lot quicker and more sanitary that trying to clean the whole wheel before you leave OR leaving it there all day long..

I also would probably give a quick foot bath to my hedgie before i left for work..

·
Registered
123 Posts
LinzardB said:
Dry poo does stink.. Ask my kitty litter box.. its dry, and solid, and still smells.. and yea, why not get it out and cleaned so its not sitting around all day..

it was just something I thought about because it was the one and only thing i remember being kinda a hassle about owning a hedgie.. The cage cleaning overall is pretty easy..
Everything about cats stink.. Cat poop and hedge poop is different. My gang doesnt have smelly dry poop.. Forget it when they are running in the fresh stuff tho!

Also have you ever walked by an old dog poop in the park or in someones yard.. It doesnt stink unless its disturbed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts