Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Harry is a 2 1/2 year old african pygmy hedgehog and has always been in good health minus in May 2014 he was diagnosed with mild arthritis in his spine.

Recently, about a week ago, I noticed he was not running in his wheel and he drags his front right leg. He has always been very active and now he will walk a couple inches and then lie down.

Harry also isn't eating as much, even when I try to hand feed him he refuses. His poops are smaller than normal.

After a vet visit yesterday, she thinks he is in pain due to the arthitis which would explain the inactiveness and his not eating....but I am not settled by it.

Please let me know if this is a bigger issue or what I can do, I am so worried for Harry, I love him with all my heart.

·
Banned
533 Posts
I bet it is the pain... If he is in pain he will be completely lethargic and really not want to eat or do anything. He won't even eat treats like eggs or mealies? Have you tried feeding him while holding him very snug. They like to feel snug and it can calm him down to eat? Also warm (not to warm) baths may really help with his Arthritis. Did she prescribe any kind of pain medication that you have been giving him? That CAN REALLY upset their stomachs

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He refuses mealworms which usually he will not stop eating. He is currently on Metacam and I give him one drop of that a day, but since yesterday I have given him 2 drops per day for the pain.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Is his leg bent funny at all? Does it seem like it hurts him to put weight on that foot? Did the vet examine his leg and foot?
If he continues to not eat, you will need to syringe feed him. I used A/D formula when I've had to syringe feed my hedgies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
His leg is bent funny his right front foot he his walking on the back of his paw bent over. He might be in pain because he will walk a couple inches fine then lay down like he just can't. :/

·
Registered
837 Posts
Just speaking from my own experience, my hedgehog Molly suddenly stopped putting weight on one of her legs. It was bent funny- it was like it had a curve in it and she was walking only on her toes. I took her to the vet and she had a bone infection that cleared with antibiotics.
However, I know nothing about hedgehogs with arthritis, so I don't know how it progresses.
If the vet didn't examine his leg closely, I would take him back. Plus it doesn't sound like he is improving or that the pain meds are working very well. I just wonder if there is something else the vet can offer?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts