Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I even introduce myself or my hog I would like to thank everyone involved with this forum. For the past 3 days I have been reading and re-reading just about everything about hedgies! We got our Harley 3 days ago and I think he is starting to settle in to his new surroundings. Right now we have him in an aquarium with aspen shavings as bedding but we are on our way to go shopping for supplies to make a C&C cage!! There was a great link to a site that explains how to make a fleece/corduroy liner and was wondering if anyone knew of any sites that explain how to make the little bags for them. I remember seeing a post about someone on here that sells them for $9... anyone know if they ship to B.C. Canada?

For the first few days Harley didn't appear to be eating or drinking anything. Last night he ate 13 pieces of kibble but it still doesn't look like he is drinking much water. i have a bottle hanging as well as a dish for him to drink out of. Any ideas on how to make him drink some water?

We think he is probably quilling right now(aren't sure how old he is as the pet store we got him from had no idea, they said probably still quite young though). He tends to scratch a lot, not excessively or franticly, just as he is wandering around he'll stop and have a good scratch. I am worried that it might be mites though as he does seem to have a lot of dry skin. Any ideas on how to soothe his flaky skin? I saw a posting saying an oatmeal bath... i'm a little nervous about bathing him though as he is still a little skittish (but loooooooves to cuddle up on my shoulder in my hair).

He's also VERY lazy. He just sleeps and sleeps and sleeps. When we wake him up he gets quite huffy and hissy but as soon as I've actually got him in my hands he unrolls. When we put him on the floor he'll run around for awhile but always ends up under the couch sleeping next to his poop. My boyfriend gets up a lot in the night and says that Harley is always just in his house, sleeping. I don't think he's used his wheel yet either.... he didn't have one in his cage at the pet store so maybe he doesn't know how to use it?

One last question... I've used construction paper to decorate his cardboard home. I haven't noticed him trying to chew anything but he does tend to lick everything... anyone know if the construction paper would have anything bad in it?

Thanks!!

P.S. He just stretched for the first time and it was soooooo funny.... never realized how long he actually is. lol

·
Registered
183 Posts
Awwes congratulations on Harley! I can't wait to see pictures!
When I was doing research before getting a hedgehog it said that rubbing your hog with oil after a bath--just a little--might help to sooth his dry, flaky skin. As well, putting a drop of oil--you'll have to check what kind is best, I'm sorry I don't know!--in his food every day can help too.
As for the wheel, maybe try putting him on/in it and turning it a tiny bit so he is forced to move. Not much so that he'll fall, but maybe so that he'll get the point?
Again, congratulations on the new addition. PUT UP SOME PICS SOON! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Ahava said:
When I was doing research before getting a hedgehog it said that rubbing your hog with oil after a bath--just a little--might help to sooth his dry, flaky skin. As well, putting a drop of oil--you'll have to check what kind is best, I'm sorry I don't know!--in his food every day can help too.
That would be vitamin e oil or flax seed oil, best to get the gel caps and puncture them to squezee the oil out. the reason for the gel caps is that they have an almost indefinite shelf life. the oil can spoil rather quickly.
Ahava said:
As for the wheel, maybe try putting him on/in it and turning it a tiny bit so he is forced to move. Not much so that he'll fall, but maybe so that he'll get the point?
I wouldnt recommend this method as it could either scare your hedgie from ever using his wheel, or cause injury. I would instead recommend putting him in the wheel and blocking him from getting out of it with your hands. If he starts getting stressed out then let him out.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are some photos we took this evening. Spent most of the night getting his cage set up. We're working out how to build a ramp up to the second level right now. Wondering what materials are best to use and what type of grip to put down, something like indoor/outdoor turf? We think we'll have to do a switch back style... if anyone has any photos of one they've done i'd greatly appreciate seeing them!! Also what kind of an incline is best? As the picture shows...he's able to climb up the side of someone's head but I'm not sure about how good he would be at getting down a steep incline as we've always picked him up once he gets up there so he doesn't fall down.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Awww! He's cute!

I just wanted to share my experience with the water. I got mine from a pet store and they had been using a water bottle, but once I got Tiggles home, she didn't seem to drink, much, if anything at all. So, following some advice I read here, I got her a non-tipping water bowl, and she's never gone back. She didn't have any "learning time". She seemed to know what to do with it right away.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for sharing pictures. (Although I know that Tiggles is my baby and I love sharing pictures of her to anyone who's around, whether they want to see them or not. :)

Tiffany

·
Registered
183 Posts
awwes he's ADORABLE!!! Congrats on your Harley. He is very cute.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He drank water!! He seemed to like the bowl rather than the bottle but i'm think i may leave the bottle up too, just in case he does use it. and he ate a bunch of food last night. and it looks like he's been playing around quite a bit too. We are so happy that he's settling into his new home :) And he's just soooo affectionate. He loves having behind his ears scratched and actually leaned into the scratch, just like a dog would! Very very cute!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts