Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
My 2 male hedgies are missing some teeth. They are both about 2.5 years old. They have a hard time chewing/gumming crunchy kibble. I have been giving them Fancy Feast pate from a can. They love it, especially salmon flavor. I got the info to use canned cat food from the stickie about soft food.

I am concerned for their digestion, though. How can I make sure they are getting enough fiber? I usually mix in around a tsp of infant rice flakes into 1/2 a small size portion per night. Does that help?

My problem is mostly the poop. They go just fine, but it's soft and light colored--it resembles chocolate soft serve ice cream. They get it on their tails and all over their fleece liners, and it's harder to clean up. Aries had poop smeared on his leg tonight, so he had a bath and he got mad about it. I'm typing one handed because he is cuddling on my chest under the other one.

Any suggestions on what to give the boys for some firmer, healthier poops?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I gave them some pumpkin tonight. So far, they have ignored it because they were tearing up their salmon Fancy Feast! I didn't mix it in, though. I'll try that tomorrow and see what they think.

Does crunchy food wear down teeth faster? How can I avoid tooth problems with the girls who still have a full set of teeth? Herisson's owner said Royal Canin 27 for mature cats is softer, does anyone use that?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.