Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hedgehogs name is penelope and ive had her for about 3 months now. shes very interested in cuddling under my legs and sleeping under me, she also likes to run around in circles in my closet shes a very good girl and she only huffs a little when i pick her up then shell sit in my hands for a couple seconds then run off. Recently ive been trying to handle her a lot more often, I used to hardly ever actually hold her. Now ive been having her run along my hands for a while before putting her back in her cage after hanging out. She never really sits still and just tries to run off my hands. Im worried that me trying to move our friendship forward will backfire because shes stressed out. She never huffs up when shes on my hands and when shes running she lets me pet her so i cant imagine that it bothers her that much. Im just worried that shes not huffing up because shes too worried about getting away.

·
Registered
39 Posts
She is probably focused on getting to the darkest possible corner she can find (as you've seen). Not sure that I'd be too concerned with anything being "wrong" as much as I might make the experience more calming for her.

We've found it helpful to dim the lights in the room when we want Harvey to play. Even, still, us playing with him between 6-10PM is still his "bed time", so it seems natural that he'd be more interested in finding a dark corner, curling up, and having little hedgehog dreams.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I work nights so its not as big of a problem, i normaly have the closet light off with my phone flashlight on pointed inside of a shoe so i can still see but its still really dark

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
She could just be an explorer and likes exploring around. If she is looking for a dark place, you could have a blanket or bonding bag out with you when you are bonding so she can just hide in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts