Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been handling hoglets for the past few days one at a time for about a minute each holding them inside the cage while mom is eating. She pretty much acts like we aren't even there. I was just wondering when to increase the holding time and when it's time to bring them all out away from mom for a bit? I found this on hedgehog world in the breeding section for the end of week 3 "This is a good time to start getting the babies used to being away from mom for an hour or two at a time. Since they have sharp teeth, mom will probably begin weaning and spending longer periods of time away from the nest." Is this accurate? Should we build up to that much by holding them for longer than a minute before then? Thanks

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
That would be Nancy, HedgiePets, and Nikki. You're probably better off contacting them personally, since they're the only ones that are really going to be able to help.

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
I don't have a set schedule for handling, I go alot by how the mom reacts. New mom's get a bit more time without having the babies handled than experienced moms. I usually start by picking up each one for a minute or so, just to check them over, seeing if I have boys or girls. As time goes on I just slowly start taking them out more, maybe 2-3 times a day, for a few minutes each each time. By the time they're about 4 weeks old I start taking one or two babies out at a time for about an hour or so...then go from there. Alot depends on the mom so watch how she reacts to the babies being handled, if she seems stressed by it handle them less and if she's calm then you can handle them more.. Sorry i can't be more specific, I hope it helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts