Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've had my current hedgehog for a few days short of a month. I got her at 14 weeks old from a breeder. Said breeder has also given my friend a hedgie, who ended up being pregnant (friend doesn't have any males -- she was given the pregnant hedgehog. possibly an accident or just the breeder being careless). I believe the same mistake has been made again as my hedgehog has been showing signs of pregnancy (nesting, increased appetite, weight gain, etc...). This is my first time dealing with hoglets seeing that I am fairly new to actually owning a hedgehog, and I've been told that since this is my hedge's first litter, she will most likely reject a couple of the babies. Is that true?

In the case that it is, I have read online that the best substitutes are goat's/sheep milk and I wanted to know if anyone here has any experience with that. My next problem is how often the babies must be fed -- I'm a senior in high school and I have to be there from 9:00 am to 2:30 pm (EST), which means that I would miss roughly 3 feedings. What should I do? Is there anything I can do/make for the babies to allow them to feed even when I'm not there? I'd go back to hand feeding once I get home, obviously, but I just need something to ensure that they are fed when they're supposed to be. It may sound ridiculous, but I'm rather desperate and want nothing more than for these little guys to make it through.

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
First times moms occasionally reject their babies but most raise them quite fine. While I was breeding I only ever had one first time mom reject her litter. The odds of them surviving if you try to hand raise them is close to nil, few babies survive when hand raised from birth.

Read all the emergency baby advice threads here and make sure you have her cage ready and have her in a quite place before birth. You won't be able to clean the cage for 6 weeks once the babies are born so you need to have loose bedding in the cage. The biggest thing is to leave mom completely alone as soon as the babies are born. Only go near the cage once a day to give fresh food and water.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Nikki was breeding for a while so she has a lot of experience so please follow her advise and the one given on the stickies and if you have questions don't hesitate to ask.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts