Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I'd avoid the ball as well, I'm not a fan of them. Hedgehogs usually do best with a hedgie-proof room to explore in, or in a play pen. Also, not related to your question really, but how big is her wheel in the picture? It seems very small.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just bought Clara a hamster ball, even after reading all the negative reviews from hedgehog owners. She loves it. She's having so much fun in it as I speak. I did have to clean it out once, but now that she understands what it's for, she won't sit still!

I even opened the lid for her, but she wouldn't leave. So far, I think it's a great toy since she could get in trouble without a plastic ball to keep her out of small spaces.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I also read all the negative reviews from hedgehog owners, but still decided against it because it just takes one time for a nasty accident and torn off toenails. I didn't want to subject my hedgehog to possible injuries if I can help it.

She had a Silent Spinner wheel before that had teeny tiny slits in the middle, and I saw her toenails get stuck in them, so I took the wheel out right away. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I just bought Clara a hamster ball, even after reading all the negative reviews from hedgehog owners. She loves it. She's having so much fun in it as I speak. I did have to clean it out once, but now that she understands what it's for, she won't sit still!

I even opened the lid for her, but she wouldn't leave. So far, I think it's a great toy since she could get in trouble without a plastic ball to keep her out of small spaces.

·
Registered
837 Posts
They can get a toe or nail stuck in a slit, but they can also get there leg caught in an exercise wheel.
If your hedgehog enjoys it and you are okay with it, then I would just keep a close eye on her when she is in it. I've tried hamster balls before but my hedgehogs never liked them.
And make sure the ball is big enough so she doesn't hurt her back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How big would you recommend? I didn't want to get a 12" because they're pricy and I didn't know if Clara would enjoy it. I got a 7" since she's a baby (7 weeks); is that okay?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I really hate to be "that person," but I must warn you about the use of hamster balls. A friend of mine bought one for her hamster a couple years ago, and even with her supervising him, one of his nails got caught in one of the slits and not only ripped the nail out, but broke its tiny toe and leg because he panicked and kept running, even with the nail still stuck.

A nail could get stuck in a split second. You don't know how your hedgehog will react to it, and even if you pick up the ball to prevent further movement, the nail/toe being caught in the slit could cause major damage. This could easily be prevented (even using a wheel made specifically for hedgehogs, such as a bucket wheel, or one with a flat surface and NO slits/openings, prevents a nail/toe/leg from being stuck). And just a side note, please make sure that if you decide to use one, have some emergency vet money saved and an on-call vet (since your hedgie will most likely be using the ball at night when most vets are closed) just in case something bad were to happen, but I really hope it doesn't.

I don't mean to scare or offend anyone, I just want owners choosing to use a ball to be aware of the dangers. Ultimately it's your decision, just keep your hedgehog's safety in mind :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
I wouldn't use one. It would take just one second for a toe to get caught and ripped. Why risk it? Even if they love it, I'm sure they would love a playpen too, and that is much safer. I've just heard terrible stories about them and I personally wouldn't take the risk.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Do what you think is right. If you are going to use one, I think the 7" is probably going to be too small.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts