Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get to pick up my hedgie tomorrow!! :D

Last night I was setting everything up. I plugged in my ceramic heat emitter to test it out and it didn't get hot. How long do they take to get hot?? I waited a good 5 minutes or so. I bought it online and I believe it's the ReptiTemp heat emitter cage with bulb. Can I get bulbs at regular pet stores in the event it's broken? I also bought a termostat and thermometer for hedgie's cage but haven't opened them up yet.

I'm so nervous that she's going to hate me and be unhappy and just want to make certain that I get everything correct!!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Re: Halp!

First off, please dont title your posts like this...there are alot of emergencies in the hedgehog world and the title you have chose can make a hedgies lovers heart fall to their stomach for fear that there is another hedgie in trouble.

If i were you i would go ahead and set up the thermostat and thermometer too....if the emitter still isnt working then you need to contact the seller and also go and buy a replacement right away instead of waiting on shipping from the internet.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Heat Emitters (the bulb part) do take a while to heat all the way up. I'd say give it about a half-an-hour and then go check the temp. What wattage is your emitter, and what size is your cage? I have a 55"x33" cage (about 4.5' x 2.75'), and I have to use two 150-watt emitters on each side to heat it properly.

If you do need a replacement or a bigger size, both PetsMart and Petco carry heat emitters in the Reptile section, so you should be able to pick another one up so that you have it ready for your new baby.

Hope this helps!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.