Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hedgieboy has been shedding a lot of hair lately on his blankets and there are also small white dandruff looking specks. I haven't noticed any scratching or quill loss. Based on those symptoms I think he could possibly have mites (or ringworm?).

I called the only hedgehog vet in my state and they will charge $100 just to diagnose him. Is this a normal amount? He's been really healthy and never needed to see the vet before...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I read on http://hedgehogcentral.com/mites.shtml that hedgehogs get mites from other hedgehogs or bedding.

His bedding is composed of carpet and fleece so I don't think that's the cause of the mites.

As far as other hedgehogs - the last ones he was in contact with were his litter mates over a year ago.

He started showing symptoms in the last month or so. Now I don't see how he can have mites if those are the two ways he would've been exposed to them.

·
Registered
902 Posts
You can try a humidifier in the room for a few days and see if it clears up. I have one on about every other day and it reduced the dandruff, no issues now. But if it keeps up, yes could still be mites.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts