Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone. I used to have an account here when I first got my hedgehog nearly 4 years ago, and it really saddens me to have to come back now as our time together ends. Unfortunately, my hedgehog's quality of life diminished quickly starting a few weeks ago. She stopped running on her wheel, then stopped coming out at night, then stopped eating as much, then stopped eating at all. I started hearing her make really strange noises one night, and I assumed they were caused by a URI. I took her to a vet, who wasn't super knowledgeable about hedgehogs, and he gave meds. By that point, she was only eating what I could get her to eat by syringe, and even then she fought me like crazy even though I knew she was hungry. I started noticing how much she lied on her side, and how she fell onto her side when walking or standing. At first, I thought she was weak from lack of food, but after a while, it became hard for me to try to convince myself it was anything other than what it obviously was, WHS. She got bad fast, and she quite obviously got nothing out of life anymore. She spent the whole time suffering, and it wasn't fair to her for me to keep her alive just because I was too scared to let go. I finally made the decision to put her down, and while deep down I know it was for the best, I still feel so unbelievably guilt-ridden over this. I know WHS is incurable and that she suffered so much, but I still keep telling myself that there was something I could've done.
I want to get another hedgehog soon, but I'm so paranoid and guilt-ridden that I'm scared to. I just don't know what to do. :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Adding info I left: The wobbliness had happened for around a month or two prior to when it started "getting bad fast", it was just not very severe and I brushed it off. It just felt sudden when it started getting really bad.

·
Registered
306 Posts
You did what every good pet owner has to do...you provided love and care until the only option was to take away her pain and suffering. It sucks, because we are never ready to say goodbye to our beloved companions. Once it gets to the point where they have no quality of life, the loving thing to do is to let them go. It hurts, it sucks, and it's awful to go through...but its the most loving thing you can do for a precious animal. Please try to make peace with yourself, because it sounds like you did everything you could. Hang in there!

·
Registered
22 Posts
taegi, your post is an indication that you cared very much for your pet and that you are an excellent caretaker. The world needs more people like you. Don't delay in getting another one. He or she needs you. There is no need for you to feel any guilt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts