Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have had my hedgehog for a week now and she is about 6 months old. I was just wondering if there is anything I can do to get her to become more friendly towards me. Every time I come near hear she rolls into an angry ball of huffing, clicking, and popping. It takes her at least an hour, most of the time two to calm down a bit, however she never becomes so relaxed that her quills lie flat. Even when I watched the breeder hold her she was in a tight, huffing ball. I do realize that hedgehogs are not the friendliest animals and that the huffing and rolling into a tight ball is normal, but I've read that the clicking and jumping is a somewhat aggressive behavior and she does this every time I come near her. I've tried coaxing her out with fruits, veggies, and insects, but she will only eat them after being out of the cage for about 30 minutes. I'm just worried that this is just her personality and that she will not become nicer in time. I don't want to waste my time on a hog that will always be grouchy, so is it a good idea to ask the breeder if I can exchange for a friendlier hedgehog?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
It's only aggressive in the way that it is a defensive strategy. She is scared and pops and clicks to scare away the predator which just happens to be you.

I have a few questions for you.

How long are you bonding with her a day? How are you bonding with her? Does she have a cuddle sack or blanket she can hide under? Have you tried a play pen or pool to put her in? You can sit by the play pen and give her treats whenever she comes to you. Do you have an old worn t-shirt in her cage so she knows your scent?

Are you picking her up barehanded or with something? If you must pick her up with something to protect your hands, I suggest using a towel that you always dry your hands on. This worked for Penny when we first had her and were introducing her to strangers.

You have only had your hedgehog for a week which is an incredibly short time. This is the time for patience, patience and more patience. Even the friendliest of hogs can take some time to get used to a new home.

It is possible she will never become to friendly but when you adopted her, you made a promise to her to give her a forever home. Adopting a hedgehog always comes with the chance that she/he may never be a friendly hog. A breeder may not exchange her anyway but there is never a guarantee the next hedgehog you would get would be friendlier.

We are here for you and your hog and will try to help you and her adjust so you are both comfortable with each other.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have a tshirt that I wore to bed for a few nights and I started to pick her up bare handed. I give her treats whenever I pick her up but she won't eat them. I usually close the door to our bathroom and spend anywhere from 1-3 hours with her and place her in a snuggle sack. Thank you for responding and is there anything else I can do?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Really, just give it time. What you might do is lay down a fleece blanket or towel or something on your couch to protect it from hedgie fluids and such and just sit there with her. Watch tv, read a book. She can snuggle in your lap. This kind of interaction might be less stressful to her. What kind of treats do you offer? Hedgies can be rather picky, so you might need to experiment with what you are offering. Oh, and you might try a low lit room. Hedgies often don't like bright lights since they are nocturnal. I generally use indirect lighting from other rooms plus the tv during bonding time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I usually do have it very dim in the room I take her in, and I've tried veggies such as peas, cooked carrots, and broccoli. I've also tried mealworms, crickets, and a ton of fruits-bananas, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, melons, and apples. It just seems as though she wants nothing to do with me.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Ya, Nico was not very impressed with most of my offerings. Especially in the beginning. Odds are you'll have to offer a single thing multiple times before she decides to taste it. You might try some leafy things. Nico really liked cilantro and parsley right away. Are the insects you're offering live, freeze dried or canned?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Your poor hedgie is probably still overwhelmed by the move.

Slowly introduce the new foods. You want to offer one food at a time, to avoid tummy upsets.

It took my Nara MONTHS before she wanted any mealworms, then one day she just decided they were her favorite thing ever.

It seemed to me that she didn't eat any veggies or fruit until she was a little older.

Being patient with a hedgehog is NOT a waste of time.

By the way, I have had my Nara for over 4 years and if I wake her up, she will huff and ball up. That's they way they are. You have to prove yourself (and prove to them that you are not going to eat them!) Once she realizes that it's me, she relaxes. It took about a year to build up the trust.

Patience.

Reactions: gracefulchaos01
1 - 9 of 9 Posts