Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

My name is Katie, and the adorable little guy curled up in my lap is Charley, my first hedgehog and newest member of my family. Technically he is my husband's little guy (he's wanted one for years) but since I'm home more during the day I've been charged with helping him settle in and become adjusted to his new home!

According to the pet store where we bought him, he is one year old. He had fairly good conditions there (food, toys, housing) and the staff were able to tell us his favorite hedgehog friendly treats and get us set up with a good habitat for the little guy. From interacting with him these past few weeks I can say that he's very affectionate and curious. He loves to snuggle, nestled in the crook of my elbow while I watch TV, or burrowed down in an old baby towel in my lap while I'm online. Every time he comes out of his cage all you can hear is a happy little whistling sound as he explores the world around him. Of course, like any other living thing (including myself) he's a bit cranky if woken up before he's ready, but he soon sheds his irritation and is on the move!

If you couldn't tell, I'm in love with the little guy. He's utterly adorable and so much fun to be around! I've had a little bit of experience with exotic pets (I had sugar gliders for years, but could not bring them to Germany from the States) but it only makes me love them more I think. Charley joins a household of 3 humans, 2 cats, and a rabbit, and has already claimed his place among us, and in our hearts. ^_^

~Katie

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you all for the welcome!

Here are a few pictures of my little man:

[attachment=0:2hpmxp2d]100_2253.jpg[/attachment:2hpmxp2d]
[attachment=1:2hpmxp2d]100_2219.jpg[/attachment:2hpmxp2d]
[attachment=2:2hpmxp2d]100_2216.jpg[/attachment:2hpmxp2d]

Attachments

·
Registered
902 Posts
He loves to snuggle, nestled in the crook of my elbow while I watch TV, or burrowed down in an old baby towel in my lap while I'm online.
Isn't that the BEST?? I love when Riley cuddles in the crook of my arm, for him to trust me so completely and fall right to sleep....I am very in love with my little guy too.

WELCOME! Adorable little guy you have, love the coloring.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Larry!

Charley has really come out of his shell these past few weeks since he has been with us; at first he was so stiff and prickly that I had to put something in my lap for him to rest on to avoid getting skewered...now he runs up my chest and buries his face in my shirt and just falls asleep, making a very soft "pop" sound every minute or so (do hedgehogs snore? ^_^)

He loves the little wire-panel play-pen my husband picked out for him, and he even likes playing in it with my rabbit! My cats peek in from time to time, but they're in no hurry to tangle with the little pincushion any time soon!

Charley also had his first bath at home a few days ago (he was awfully dusty and his feet were dirty) and I'm keeping an eyeball on him to make sure his skin doesn't get too dry since humidity really isn't a factor where I live we may have to break out a humidifier once hard winter sets in...

Overall I feel like a mother with a newborn because Charley is so little and cute, and I'm doing my best to read up on everything I need to have and know to keep him safe, happy, and healthy for as long as I can!

@krbshappy71:

It is the best...I love it when he's asleep in the towel in my lap and wakes up long enough to poke his head out, make sure I'm still there, and nestles back in for another nap.

I'm not sure what I would call his coloring, even after looking at several color guides here and on other sites...but honestly I'm not that concerned about it, and as long as he's happy, I'm happy. ^_^

~Katie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts