Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2-yr old male albino hedgehog who loves to eat. The problem is his urine smells foul.

I've have him on Royal Canin and he was great but then slowly I noticed his domain started to stink. I bathed him, scrubbed his cage, cleaned his wheel and litter box. And every time he was on the wheel the smell would come back and get worse.

I then switched him to Simply Nourish by the advice from people on here before and he was great! But now I'm noticing that he's beginning to stink again and its worse than before. I'm at a loss of what to do and what to feed him so please, any advice?

Many thanks from Chelsea and Stinkius Maximus.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Have you been to the vet? Bad smelling urine says to me that there may be a problem. I'd want to at least have the vet take a urine sample to be tested and see if it comes back with anything to be concerned about.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
If the vet says everything is alright, you may want to try bottled water if you aren't already. Depending on where you are in Canada, the tap water can be quite variable. Where I am it's fine 90% of the time and the other 10% it goes from "okay-ish" to "do not drink the water!" Slight changes in water quality could cause the stinky pee.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in Ontario and we've never had an issue with the water before but that is definitely something I'll try! If that doesn't work then I will most likely have to take him to the vet.

So its not the food I should be worried about? More or less the drinking and possibly his system? Thanks for the quick replies :)

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Also, how are you cleaning the cage and its accessories? I wonder if it may be a build up in cracks or gaps in anything or in the liners.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts