Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know any good sites that talk about diseases that African Pygmy Hedgehogs can get, and might include some genetics info? I'm doing a project on them for my Genetics class, and I was thinking I might include some stuff on diseases, since I'm not sure there's enough information just on the color genetics. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
543 Posts
There is a LOT of controversy and debate to this issue. Exactly what role genetics have and what diseases hedgies can carry are still being argued. The ban on imports was initiated due to hedgies being carriers of monkey pox from Africa. This is a sure thing according to the CDC. However if you talk to many hedgie experts they say it is not a sure thing and the CDC is overreacting and playing it ridiculously safe. The big problem is lack of scientific research. And none is foreseeable in the near future. African countries are very unstable and chaotic. Westerners are targets of kidnap and murder. Many areas are so violent and volatile that even citizens are being wiped out. Somalia, Sudan, Congo or Zaire, Nigeria, Algeria, Sierra Leone, Morocco... etc. None are safe. So we are left with what we have and even in stable western countries the research is slim to none. Many hedgie researchers would LOVE to be a part of a research effort in Africa but at this time and the foreseeable future it is just too dangerous. Getting kidnapped or murdered wouldn't help hedgies at all.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, thanks. I'll have to see if I can make do with what we have of color genetics and such from Bryan, then, if he's willing to help. Maybe if I throw in a little bit about the background of African Pygmies, like the two breeds they come from and such I can add in a little more time. :) I really do want to do this on hedgies, just to have something interesting and different. And of course, as an excuse to show Lily off some more, lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts