Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am going to be getting a baby hedgehog here in the next few weeks. I've had a hedgehog in the past, about 4 years ago so I am not totally new to them. I currently am a college student, and my home town is about a 4 hour drive from school. Its not too bad of a drive but I need a good travel carrier. I've been having some issues trying to find a good, hard one that will be small enough for the hedgehog to be secure, but not too small where he will be cramped. I know there are some smaller ones that are similar in size of a bonding bag or hide that are good for small trips, but since this will be a bit longer I am wondering if I will need a bit bigger size, like maybe a carrier for a small dog with lots of snuggle sacks and fleece options inside. I also know they can display their car sickness and stress in their poops so I'm planning on watching over for that, but if there is any other advise you guys have for that aspect like preventing it or making it better let me know. i am trying to be as cautious as possible bc my last hedgie died while I as on a weekend trip to visit family for thanksgiving, he was sick and I didn't want to leave him with someone else in case something happened so hedgehogs and travel is quite a touchy subject for me, and I want to make sure I am doing it absolutely the best way possible.

·
Registered
Holly is a female African Pygmy Hedgehog. She weighs about 463g and was born May 28, 2019.
508 Posts
I understand your hesitation. I would recommend a smaller carrier because (at least my hedgehog) likes small spaces. But make sure there are options for where she wants to sleep as well. I would recommend maybe a 1 foot by 1-foot container? Depending on how big your hedgie is, this would be small and easy to transport but also provide room for your hedgie to stretch out as well. I just use boxes or containers that I have a home when we go to the vet, so any animal carrier with good ventilation will be great! :) Good luck!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts