Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this cage good enough for my hedgehog?I plan to cover the bottom with 2 fleece liners folded so its thick, its 3 feet by 1 1/2 feet. I just want to know if its a good cage like space wise and that....
Thanks much! :)

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,585 Posts
Its ok size wise. From your measurements that is 4.5 sq ft. Larger is always better with these guys.

The floor will need a solid surface. I know you plan to put fleece down, but my fear is that the hedgehog will burrow or push the fleece around and then it will be back on the wire flooring. You will want something solid that the hedgehog cannot get under to prevent problems.

I cannot tell from that image, but it looks like it only has a front door. It may make it hard to get a wheel in and out of for daily cleaning. I have a cage that came with a rescue that only has a front door, and it was a hassle. Those with large, top opening doors make it easier to reach in and pick up the hedgehog (especially those that are shy or grumpy) and to get those dirty wheels out.

I also like a solid lower portion of the side wall in my cage. Before I put in custom pans in my Ferret Nations, I would occasionally find poo that had been kicked out of the cage. Stepping in fresh poo, in the middle of the night during a bathroom run, well... sucks.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
And just to add... If you end up with a climber, you will have to weave plastic through the bars a few inches up from the bottom.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
If you do end up using it, you will need to put corrugated plastic or another solid surface down on the wires, or find a way to remove them. Lots of hedgies burrow under their liners and you could have a real safety problem.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I don't know what kind of animal they thought they were making this cage for. It doesn't look good for any animal I can think of. Do you know how tall it is? It doesn't look tall enough for a wheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts