Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Zoe is just about a year old now and while she has not had any problems (that I know of) I'd like to take her to a Vet for a well visit. I live in New Jersey and there are a few animal hospitals that are on the Vet list on Hedgehog Central that are not that far from me (closest is about 30mins) but there is an animal hospital around the corner from me called "Banfield: The Pet Hospital Since 1955" and I asked if they handled exotic pets and they said yes, and then I asked if they handled hedgehogs and they said they "would". Now it's the word "would" that made me think that maybe I should ask around first for your (the hedgehog community) opinions on where to go.

Do the Vets on the list from Hedgehog Central have a proven track record of some kind or are they simply place that will handle hedgehogs? If there is no way of knowing then I have less of a problem going to the closer hospital. But if they need to have either a positive track record or something along those lines to be listed here then I would go the extra distance so I could deal with an experienced hedgehog Vet.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm not sure about the list of vets for New Jersey but the one listed for my area is a reputable hedgie vet and see's many hedgies on a regular basis! The fact that the vet close to you said "would" see him makes me think they probably aren't used to seeing them. The first vet that Harley visited "would" see him. Turns out the vet was from England and had seen them in his back yard all the time as a kid. He had only seen a couple hedgehog pets here in Canada.

·
Registered
138 Posts
To find my vet I called one near my house and asked if they saw hedgies. When they said no, I asked for a recommendation and got this one. It's one of the few in town that sees exotics. You might try calling ones you know don't see hedgies and see what they say.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While I thank you for your suggestion, I was more looking for advice on whether or not I should see a vet with no history with hedgehogs. Is the consensus that vet's know animals and there for will know what to do? I've read some stories on this site about vets giving drugs to hedgies that end up causing severe pain and or death and I'm looking to avoid that if all costs (obviously).

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The more experienced the vet the better I think. The less likely they will do something to harm your hedgehog. Ask how many years of experience the vet has had with pet african hedgehogs. If they say more than 20 they are lying.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts