Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently gotten a bucket wheel for Paco. He had a flying saucer, but I didn't like the way he was running on it, to me it looked uncomfortable. I have put both wheels in his cage, and he wont touch the bucket wheel. I have tried the tips that I have read on here and still nothing. I have taken the FS out for a night only hoping that he would try the other one. Nothing. When I first got him, he was using a mesh wheel so the shape of the wheel he still should remember. My concern is that he is not running at night without the FS, which in turn means less poop. Will he eventually get the hang of it is I leave in his cage for a bit, or should I leave the FS in there as well for an option.

·
Registered
395 Posts
if he is choosing the flying saucer over the other wheel, then he must find it funner/more comfortable to run on. Hedgies all have a personal preference, and running on the flying saucer will not contort your hogs spine. A FS is just as safe as a bucket wheel, and he may find running on the FS easier or more fun.

If he isn't using hte bucket wheel at all there is very little you can do to force him, he probably misses his FS wheel. Personally i would continue to use the FS wheel if i hadn't gotten reapers. It is much easier to clean than an average bucket wheel, and vex also prefers it to an average bucket wheel.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm a Flying Saucer Wheel skeptic. However, if I have to choose between no-wheeling and a FSW, I choose the latter. I would leave the FSW in the cage as I believe wheeling/running is essential to the well being of a hedgehog.

This is one of the things that your choice depends on the hedgie. I've learned each hedgehog has such a strong individuality and what's generally accepted as good or safe doesn't apply well to your hedgehog. For instance, you can try giving nothing but the very best cat foods or treats, but if your hedgie refuses to eat it and goes on a hunger strike, it does more harm than low-quality, fatty cat foods. Does this make low-qulity foods okay to feed to all hedgehogs? The answer is no. I feel the same way about a FSW.

We should always try our best to provide what's safe and what's good to our quilled friends, but we should also remember we're dealing with living creatures who have a mind of their own as well as their own liking and disliking. In many ways, they have the final saying when it comes to their diet, wheeling, bathroom habits, and such.

If your hedgie insists on using his FSW and refuses to use anything else, I'd say let him. I would, however, leave the bucket wheel in the cage as well in the hope he will change his mind about it - I would let him have the option at least for a few months before giving up on the BW entirely. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts