Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay well I have a hedgehog who is about 6 months old, until about 2 weeks ago he had found many ways to amuse himself, but recently I have started to notice him running around in circles which when I researched is meaning they are bored and cannot find anything to play with.
The aquarium is as followed:
1foot Wide x 3feet long x 1.6ft tall

I am thinking about adding a second level to the aquarium he already lives in as i dont have any money to go and buy tubs etc. so does anyone have an idea to make a safe, cheap and reletively easly new level to his house?

Thanks alot :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Does your hedgehog have a wheel? Hedgehogs require a wheel to keep themselves entertained. Very rarely will a hedgehog with a wheel be caught running around in circled. However if you do have a wheel your hedgehog may just be playing a game. My vex will often jump off his wheel and run to the food dish to see if it changed.

Again, wheels are NEEDED for hedgies. You can find all about wheels here: http://wiki.hedgehogcentral.com/tiki-in ... age=Wheels

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, and yes I do have a wheel,
he has refused to go in it since i got it a month ago,
he is scared when it moves, and when i place him in it to try to get him to run, he runs, but away frm the wheel and not in it!
He instead enjoys squeezing himself under it to walk passed :S

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
He may not understand how to use the wheel, or maybe if he had a previous owner before you, he didn't have a proper wheel, got hurt on it, and has become afraid of them. Make sure that your wheel is solid bottomed so he can't get hurt in it. Try putting him up on the wheel, then putting your hand against it to block his escape. He may try walking on it then, and realize that it's not so scary after all. :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
That is most likely a comfort wheel. Does it have a little piece that sticks out in the middle like http://www.zippityzoo.com/HH-ComfortWheel.jpg?

Some hedgehogs will refuse to run on certain wheels. With comfort wheels some will rub their backs on the bar and may get frustrated with it.

One alternative is trying a bucket wheel supreme made by reaper or a flying saucer. There have been reports of hedgehogs who refused to wheel who loved both of these types of wheels and started to use them regularly.

Also another good idea is to give him a treat when you place him on the wheel, then he may start getting on it on his own. Basically conditioning him to enjoy the wheel.

Once he gets on it regularly, you can try blocking him in and seeing if he runs. As soon as he runs you can give him a treat, and soon he will catch on the running is not only fun, but rewarding.

For conditioning i use a piece of cut up meal worms. I take a 1 inch meal worm and cut it into fifths.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes that is the wheel, just mines in green,
the hedgehog is not anywhere near big enough to hit the bar yet, as its still relatively small,
id say about 2 1/2 inches from the bar atleast,
I have tried the flying saucer, and he never liked that one either!
hmm

·
Registered
395 Posts
hmmm.

As for answering your original question, that would take some ingenuity.

The safest and easiest design would be to make a box out of 2x2 wood, that is primed and painted using a non-toxic acrylic paint, and fits snug inside the aquarium. The box should be the height you wish to have the second level at. The top of the box should be reinforced with 2x2 cross bars.

For a flooring you can use a simple piece of coroplast cut to the size of the aquarium, or you could make something more complex.

For a ramp you can use a dryer tube, angled PVC pipe, or you can build a ramp out of coroplast or other plastic.

If you only wish to have a loft that does not span the entire aquarium you will wee to place a wall on the loft so that your hedgie cannot fall off the ledge.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I would not recommend adding a second level to an aquarium. Aquariums are already poorly ventilated and to add a level is only going to hold even more stale air under the level. I'd look for a wire cage or something that is more appropriate to add a second level to. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.