Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I give my hedgehog mealies at 8 weeks? Because I heard you should keep your hedgehog on the same food for 6 weeks before giving him a new food. I know it's over 6 weeks, but I'm still not so sure.

·
Registered
414 Posts
How long have you had the hedgie? I'm not sure where the 6 week thing comes from as I've never heard 6 weeks exactly, unless you mean taking 6 weeks to gradually switch to a new kibble... If your hedgie has had time to settle in (meaning you've had him for 1-2 weeks and he's comfortably settled in to his new home with no green stress poops anymore), then you can introduce him to mealies. Only give him 1-2 if he's never had them before, as they could upset his tummy otherwise. After a week or so of that without green poop reactions, then you can try giving 3-4.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Zalea said:
How long have you had the hedgie? I'm not sure where the 6 week thing comes from as I've never heard 6 weeks exactly, unless you mean taking 6 weeks to gradually switch to a new kibble... If your hedgie has had time to settle in (meaning you've had him for 1-2 weeks and he's comfortably settled in to his new home with no green stress poops anymore), then you can introduce him to mealies. Only give him 1-2 if he's never had them before, as they could upset his tummy otherwise. After a week or so of that without green poop reactions, then you can try giving 3-4.
Thank you, he has happily eaten TWO meal worms. :eek: :D.... I'm glad he's eaten a treat when I made progress. Is it okay if he ingested one of those little wood shavings the meal worms dig through? I'm kinda worried about him that he ate one. :? He hasn't shown any possible symptoms of eating one of them... Well, anyways, thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Meal worms come in some kind of oat bran or wheat bran. It looks like wood but isn't.
So the little hedgie will be just fine :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts